Ebonite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hello,
Any tips on Ebonite?

Do you use CA or epoxy for gluing in tubes? (I tried CA and the tube was slipping)

What is the best way to finish the pen? (I did micromesh and novus and see scratches and it is not as shiny I envisioned it would be)

Thanks,
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Hi Nick,
Ive only done a couple of ebonites so limited experience.
I used epoxy and it worked fine with no movement at all once set.
I wet sanded down to 12000MM, Autosol chrome cleaner (or similar abrasive paste) then T-cut to finish.
No visible marks and a mirror like shine.
Possibly sanding length ways with the lathe off may help. I did this with each grit.
I also started sanding at 240 as coarser grits tend to cut too deeply for me and its difficult to get rid of the marks.

bruce119

Nick

Ebonite should polish up great just like an acrylic. I would epoxy in the tube. Then start sanding and with ebonite I would wet sand all the way starting with about 400 then going into micro mesh working up you can go all the way to 12000 WET sanding all the way. Then finish off with Novus 2 polish being sure to keep that wet also. Then just buff it up by hand. should come out like glass.

Are you sure it's ebonite were did you get it what color is it.

pipecrafter

I may have some experience with ebonite. :biggrin:

What most pipe makers do is sand using high quality paper (some use MicroMesh or Abralon), then buff with brown tripoli compound, then buff with white diamond. It helps to make sure you spend some time sanding along the length in addition to around the circumference.

Nickfff

Hello,
Thanks for the replies.

Bruce-Yes, I am sure it is ebonite. It is black with red lines and it came from pipemakers supply...

Pipecrafter-I'll bet you know ebonite : ). Do you buff with a wheel or just apply the white diamond to the blank directly on the blank on the lathe?

Nick

pipecrafter

Hi Nick,

I buff using a wheel. I just hold the finished tube in my hand while running the buffer about 1800RPM. I also make sure to buff lengthwise as well, just be sure not to let the wheel catch the top of the tube! :eek:

Top Bottom