Ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

I saw a post a while back with a pen made from ebonite and searched around until I found a source here in the UK.
I ordered some yesterday and it arrived today!! you cant beat that for service ,,and the company was extremely helpful which made parting with the money a whole lot easier.
So, I now have my first ebonite rod and would welcome any hints and advice on how to drill,turn, finish etc etc.
I havent turned many pens, slimlines and Sierras mainly and my penmaking skills are not 'advanced' but I'd like to get the best out of this ebonite hence my plea for help.
regards,talbot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgray

You'll find that ebonite works like a dream. Basically, it's a vulcanized rubber, so it's relatively soft (compared to acrylics).

Just have a go at it. It's easy to drill, easy to work and turn. There's also no grain direction.

Just ingore the sulfur smell...it's smelly stuff.

Also - who is your supplier in the UK?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Let's emphasize once again,

it STINKS!!! Dust collector full blast will help!

Turns easily - buffs to a nice shine (not glass like, but nice)

talbot

You'll find that ebonite works like a dream. Basically, it's a vulcanized rubber, so it's relatively soft (compared to acrylics).

Just have a go at it. It's easy to drill, easy to work and turn. There's also no grain direction.
Just ingore the sulfur smell...it's smelly stuff.
Also - who is your supplier in the UK?

Thanks for this and the other replies.
I assume the smell is harmless or should I wear a protective mask?
Also, whats the best tool for this stuff, I use a skew and continental gouge for other penturning will they be OK?

My source in the UK is:
Holbourne Industrial Plastics Ltd
www.holbourne.co.uk
email: tonyb@holbourne.co.uk

They have stock of the black as well as the black with a red vein. Its imported from Germany
I found them to be extremely patient and helpful and I'll use them again. I bought a meter length of 22mm and Tony even gave me a piece about a foot long to practise on first. I did ask him for it mind you so I guess he was too polite to say no.
Thanks again for your replies.
regards,talbot

PenWorks

If you are an old drag racing fan, you will love the smell.
Burning rubber, the only thing missing is the smell of NITRO!:)
I think you will find it very nice to work with.

talbot

If you are an old drag racing fan, you will love the smell.
Burning rubber, the only thing missing is the smell of NITRO!:)
I think you will find it very nice to work with.
weekend spins in the roadster is as close as i get to that, but this weekend I'll be on the lathe turning my first FP. Ive gone for the Jr Gent
Holbourne is a good source for ebonite, if you lower your rod diameter from 22" to 20" or even 18" the cost comes down quite a bit!
I realised after I'd ordered I should have gone for the 20mm. I'll get it right next time and i think i'll try the one with the red veining.
regards, talbot

Ligget

Tolbot the Ebonite is expensive, the black which is out of stock (for approx 6 weeks) is £27.80 plus VAT per metre and the red and black is £32.45 + VAT per metre.

The maker is in Germany and I bet it would be a lot cheaper buying from them, whoever they may be!

Top Bottom