Is this Ebonite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Airbear77

This feels and sounds like graphite rods. Looks like wood, but super dense and stinks to high heaven when I drilled it. Smells like an electrical fire or burning hair. Can anyone verify this is ebonite? I have never had any. I got it from a friend of mine. Thank you for any responses. Aaron

Attachments

• image-2903732093.jpg
    image-2903732093.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 394
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Hard to tell from the pics. If you can get a closeup as well as endgrain it'll be easier.

From what I can tell the second one on the left looks very much like this:

This isn't ebonite but something else. It does stink while drilling and turning but nothing like ebonite. Ebonite will smell more like burning rubber.

No matter what it looks like cool stuff! Let me know if you want to share any :biggrin:

Airbear77

This feels and sounds like graphite rods. Looks like wood, but super dense and stinks to high heaven when I drilled it. Smells like an electrical fire or burning hair. Can anyone verify this is ebonite? I have never had any. I got it from a friend of mine. Thank you for any responses. Aaron

End grain is attached

Attachments

• image-3357280378.jpg
    image-3357280378.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 731

edstreet

End grain is attached

110237d1392815238-ebonite-image-3357280378.jpg

This could still be ebonite but we know which ebonite it is *NOT*.

Airbear77

I gotta say, it LOOKS like wood!!!???!!! any chance it was stabilized in some unusual compound which could explain the smell and feel?

There is a chance of that I guess. My buddy doesn't remember where he got them. He has had them for years.

Ejames

Looks like Ebonite to me. Sometimes called Cumberland or vulcanite. I use it now and then for pipe stems,especially the black and the red/black. Bloomin' stuff ain't cheap,especially the German made.

So if it is real ebonite, the stuff that they used to make bowling balls and such (which means I have no earthly idea what else they made from it) there would be no grain structure like the pictures.

yaroslaw

Endgrain doesn't look like German or Indian ebonite. It can't be Japanese also because they started to produce color thing not so long ago. So this stuff if it is ebonite could only be antique. SMELL will tell you if it is it. Try to burn a shavings. They will smell like sulphur and burning rubber.

edstreet

Ebonite can be made in the home environment, i.e. your back yard.

Ebonite has been made over the years by many sources and not just the famous ones that have been referenced here.

Hence me saying by viewing the endgrain we know which ebonite manufactures it is *NOT*.

yaroslaw

And the only way to tell is by smell. Even machining properties are very-very different between makers.

PS Ed, how about more info on home-making ebonite? I see next year ebonite casts in "Color casting contest":)

edstreet

And the only way to tell is by smell. Even machining properties are very-very different between makers.

PS Ed, how about more info on home-making ebonite? I see next year ebonite casts in "Color casting contest":)

The Making of Ebonite[gallery]/0/ click on the first photo and read the captions, then do the < and > arrows.

You can tell by smell yes, also by grain patterns, how it handles and the like.

yaroslaw

Hm, I know chemical process making ebonite, but I expected from you info on "home making ebonite". All that machinery is not even back yard friendly (especially extruder).

Have you turned any of it yet? Bill

No, I drilled a small piece and it smelled like I burnt a pile of wires and hair. My shop is in the basement below the den. The smell comes right up into the house so I stopped.

That sure does not sound like a very pleasant odor :eek:(

The "Ebonite" or "Hard Rubber" I use does give off a Sulfur like smell, as others have mentioned already. But nothing so horrible as to make me want to stop drilling or turning it.

If you ever do decide to turn some, let us know how it handles, and maybe post a close-up pic of the shavings. Don't know if that would make a definite determination, but it might help.

One more thing......how heavy or dense does it seem compared to other familiar materials?

Bill

Airbear77

Looks to me like it could be a product I use to buy years ago. It was called Pakkawood. It does smell when you drill it. Michael

I looked that up and I think it is something similar to that. I appreciate the info very much. After researching that I believe I may have found what it may be. Aaron

edstreet

To answer the question "Is this Ebonite" we must look at what is ebonite. Ebonite is made from dust and dust we shall see when turned. Ebonite is also extruded among other things, so that should show up good in the photo details below.

After we answer that topic question I shall follow up with "if not ebonite then what is it?"

:Smell and visual:
As I opened the shipping package today I took good note of what it smelled like. I have a very good sense of smell and this did not smell like any ebonite that I have smelled before. This may not mean it's not ebonite but it did rule out many types of ebonite.

Here we see a side by side shot of the mystery blank (left) and black Nikko ebonite (japanese) (right), also the very end right is Marine blue NYH Ebonite (german)

attachment.php

attachment.php

First thing to note, the banding marks on the left block. Looks like there was a layer of one material with grain direction in a slant was pressed to another layer of same or similar dyed material but grain direction was different, thus creating a hatch pattern.

The banding is from being turned. It was only present on the red block.
attachment.php

Note the ebonite on the right, it looks sandy. It actually looks like dust was heated up, pressed together and forced into a specific shape. (which is how it is made)

:End Grain:
First thing we noted was visually could not see much out of the ordinary. However, the macro lens sure did pick up a great number of things.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The circled areas are cracks. What is interesting to note here is the growth of the crack, note how irregular it is and how it weaves along the laminate union. Upon closer inspection we see a good number of them as in the second pic.

:Lathe testing:

I took each section, the red, one ebonite and one pen blank that I have (more on this later), I put them on the lathe and somewhat rounded the corner on the end and collected dust, shavings in hopes of gaining some valuable insight into what our mystery material is. This rounding would show depth grain.

this is the group compare shot.
attachment.php

Mystery Rod
These 4 are from our mystery rod.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Quite interesting. A closeup view.
attachment.php

I think I could call it at this point. This clearly looks like wood. We see wood shavings but on a very small scale.

:Ebonite:
But the question ask "IS THIS EBONITE". So no compare would be proper without some ebonite to compare to. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note how dusty it looks. Even with the strings there is still dust. Next thing to note is the COLOR. This is BLACK ebonite. Yet we see the yellow/orange which is the sulfur content.

Stabilized Spalted Birch
I have some spalted birch that I had professionally stabilized. The process infuses resin into the wood fibers turning it into a reinforcement.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Note here how the chips looks gummed up like glue was added. The wood is spalted which does break down the chips as well.

:Wood Laminate:
I have some wood laminate, this one is made by timbersmith out of birch. They use glue and other things to bond the boards together. Dye makes them yield the interesting patterns. Also worth note is the MSDS for dymondwood list Phenol and formaldehyde as ingredients. This is some nasty chemicals and caution needs to be used when working this material.

attachment.php

attachment.php

In case anyone is wondering, this wood is a stock that I put on my saiga-12, it's for an AK-47 and I threw it in with the 922R conversion that I did.

attachment.php

attachment.php

:Conclusion:
This mystery rod shows wood chips, smells like wood, does not show ebonite qualities and does resemble dymondwood. While dymondwood is laminate birch (grown in the North East US mostly, i.e. Vermont) there are many versions and I am unable to tell which one it is.

I also noted cracks on the end grain where it was cut so that indicates caution should be taken when turning and working it in general as the material may be prone to cracking under some conditions.

Since there is some type of glue/epoxy/etc holding the sheets together that means that HEAT is your enemy. It was weaken and damage the bond area and cause untold number of problems.

Enjoy. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 1,686
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 8,558
  • IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 1,636
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,594
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 1,595
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 2,043
  • IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 1,859
  • IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 1,534
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 1,523
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 1,558
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 1,668
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,635
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 1,532
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 1,697
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 1,646
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 1,726
  • IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 1,552
  • ak47-furniture.jpg
    ak47-furniture.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 3,467
  • saiga-12-ak-furniture.jpg
    saiga-12-ak-furniture.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 3,784
Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

Conclusion:

Ed, Sherlock Holmes has nothing on you. Fantastic analysis and the usual superb photos to
help solve another 'mystery". Thank you for taking the time to impart knowledge.

Airbear77

Ed, I hope the moderators can somehow save your reply or put it in the library or whatever they can do to make sure it doesn't go away and so people to reference it when they have the same questions. I know how much trouble it is to put together a post like this, let alone the photographs! I didn't realize you were shooting with a microscope! I can't thank you enough for the reply and taking the time to piece this together. -Aaron Meredith

Top Bottom