The Ebay Wood Blank Coalition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russianwolf

Just a suggestion that I think would help us all save some money.

I recently won an auction on ebay for some IBO blanks. I have had two people here ask if they can get some. Including one person I outbid for the blanks (unbeknownst to me). I don't mind sharing at all, as other here have shared with me also.

But here is the thought. How about we work as a community on ebay. 1 person bids on any particular set of blanks and then makes at least some available on here. This would keep us from getting into a bidding war with our own people driving the price up.

We could come on here and post something about "I'm bidding on these, I'll have 3 extras" and then everyone would know to hold fire.

just a thought, what says you guys?

Last week I watched an auction for 5 IBO blanks go up to 30gbp and the guy was in the states so add another 8gbp to the price. By my calculations that's works out to be about $16 per blank. That's just painful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I have to agree with maxwell smart,FeeBay, you pay to play, The Olive Wood niche is pretty hot right now, Best grab as much as you can, There are places you can buy from other than eBay, and save a few bucks as well, I did manage to grab 4 blanks and delivered to my door, they cost about 1.75 US per blank

Russianwolf

So if we are both after some IBO, and You're willing to pay $7/blank and I'm willing to pay $8/blank (I'll win obviously). But if one of the two of us withheld our bid we could get them for $5/blank and sell/trade a couple to the other member here. You wouldn't want to do that?

I buy and sell on ebay. I know that if I list something for .99 I may get just .99, that's my gamble. What the party does with it after they pay me I have no control over. They might stick it in their storefront for $20. So no, I have no sympathy for sellers who underprice their wares and lose on the deal. I've been on the losing end myself on occasion.

I just think it's silly to see that by outbidding someone here, we both wind up paying more than we had to.

gerryr

I rarely ever go look for wood on eBay, mainly because there are people on eBay that are willing to pay ridiculous prices for wood. Unless it's something really unusual, there are other places to buy wood at least as good and generally better for less money and most often a lot less money.

IPD_Mrs

I think you are opening a can of worms with this one. For one it makes it harder on the sellers. Prices drop and they will either no longer list or change their starting prices. There are two many good sellers right here if you want good quality wood for a fair price. If I am looking for something specific I would first ask on here. Nolan is my #1 burl guy.[:)] When I want exotics from Hawaii, it is first Chris then Joel. Too many people have been burnt on here buying blind from eBay. You will see ten posts of complains about a wood purchase on eBay for every one good one. Personally I like being able to send an email to Nolan asking for 10 xyz burl blanks and never need to see a photo because the blanks always rock. The only bad thing is the freebies he put in to get you wanting something else.

I also need to mention Bill at AS. I have never ordered wood from him but have received freebies with an order. Every blank I have got from him was worth paying for. The folks that are on here have a reputation to look after. If they screw up or try to deceive they won't be selling on here for very long.

Mike

Mark4583

I purchase alot from ebay also, But I have number to what is the most I am willing to pay and if u so happen to want to pay more than I so be it.
To pay $7 for a blank of wood thats worth $2-3 isnt being a very smart ebayer.
Ive ordered some Olive wood from Craft supplies and have gotten some real nice blanks for about $3 a blank if I remember.
I have seen some rediculous bids on Amboyna burl with sapwood. Im almost afraid to use whatI have, lol
What I would Like to find is some of that Royal Yew that CSU had at one time.

Russianwolf

I've purchase wood from Bill (AZ Sil) and could never say a bad word about it..... me turning it, maybe, but the wood is great.

Same for the couple people on here that I've dealt with. Freebies in every pack, making me want to skip a mortgage payment..... BAD.

I also have set limits. The guy who paid 30gbp, I think my max was 10gbp. (I got 15 for 30 this week) And if I could find an Irish Bog Oak supplier that wasn't ebay, I'd probably jump on it. Heck I'm still trying to source other Irish woods. Some things just don't seem to be available any other way.

It was just a thought as I said.

drayman

i agree with mike, all my burls i get from nolan and yet to find any better anyware [:p] so usualy i dont buy wood if i cannot see it in person. been there, done that, worn the tee shirt, then thrown it away. regards colin.

I've seen plenty of ads for wood on ebay but never bought any. From my own experience buying from members here I don't see any need to go anywhere else. I have never been disappointed with any of the wood or other items I have purchased from members on this site.

Rifleman1776

What is IBO?
What does 'gbp' mean?
And, why buy wood from eBay? There are many great sellers here and other reliable forums, plus many members make trades.
I just received some absolutely delicious blanks I bought from a member. And he tossed in some lagniappe. Great prices, great products, great camaraderie. Can't do better than that.
BTW, when I sell blanks, I always add lagniappe.

Russianwolf

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />What is IBO?
What does 'gbp' mean?
And, why buy wood from eBay? There are many great sellers here and other reliable forums, plus many members make trades.
IBO is Irish Bog Oak
gbp is British Pound ~$2 USD
why buy on ebay? as I can't find IBO anywhere else. If I had other options, I might.

donald19

Is there a listing of members that sell their pen blanks? If not PM or email me with your preferred member sellers.

And as for bid rigging as was suggested and which happened in the stamp collecting world is a big NO NO and if proven can lead to prosecution under anti trust laws.

I recently bought 300+ pen blanks 38 species on ebay for $150 averaging out to 0.43 per blank. Good deal in my estimation.

Don

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Don,

Simply check the Individual Classified and the Business Classified. That will show you who sells blanks here on the site, and should give you an idea of their feedback.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I bought a mallee burl on ebay and the guy I bought it from had left the original price on it after it took a month for him to ship it to me. I found out where he got it from and am now buying direct and getting a lot better prices and shipping. Beware of ebay, most are good, but some are real scumbags.This guy had an excellent feedback rating,so that doesn't always matter. That just tells me that he is a master at what he does and is working ebay to the max.

Russianwolf

Originally posted by donald19
<br />Is there a listing of members that sell their pen blanks? If not PM or email me with your preferred member sellers.

And as for bid rigging as was suggested and which happened in the stamp collecting world is a big NO NO and if proven can lead to prosecution under anti trust laws.

I recently bought 300+ pen blanks 38 species on ebay for $150 averaging out to 0.43 per blank. Good deal in my estimation.

Don
I think you are talking about shill bidding, which raises the price of the auction. Not anything close to what I was describing. What I was proposing isn't illegal at all, it's no different than the group buys from csusa that everyone here participates in.

Russianwolf

Originally posted by wolftat
<br />I bought a mallee burl on ebay and the guy I bought it from had left the original price on it after it took a month for him to ship it to me. I found out where he got it from and am now buying direct and getting a lot better prices and shipping. Beware of ebay, most are good, but some are real scumbags.This guy had an excellent feedback rating,so that doesn't always matter. That just tells me that he is a master at what he does and is working ebay to the max.

I learned that a long time ago. saw people selling 4 plastic pathway lights for $30+ not including shipping. If you went to walmart (either the store or web) you could get the exact same lights for $19. Always do research before you bid on ebay. The problem comes when you can't find the item elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom