Ebay sellers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Has anyone ever bought pen kits from ebay? There's a few sellers there selling kits for quite cheap prices - Rhodium cigar or black titanium cigar for under 5 dollars...anything to worry about?

(other than being scooped, that is! :D )

Also, that same seller advertised that rhodium and platinum are the same metal - should that scare me?

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

rhodium is in the platinum family, but not the same metal. Not a big concern, but semantics.

I've noticed those on ebay and have been curious, but something in my gut tells me that these are the same platings as the PSI funline. which means "chrome" and "gun metal". I do not know for sure though.

gerryr

I would be wary of someone who claims rhodium and platinum are the same metal. I would also send them an email and ask who makes the kits. I suppose it's possible they're buying them direct from that Chinese company who hung around here for a while.

If you really want to put them on the spot, ask them why platinum currently sells for $1,415 per ounce and rhodium sells for $6,190 per ounce. If they're the same why are the prices different?

arioux

Hi,

If it's Wood Pen Pro, they are good kits. He has those on is web site too. I have bough many times from him and am very satisfied.

If it's oliveoyle, then you are talking about wood 'n wimshies, an other supplier appreciated from many here (i have never deal with them so cannot comment but i read many good comments and i am about to place an order with them).

The only thing that bugs me is that oliveoyle calls his black titanium "AKA gun metal", but these are 2 very different plating as far as quality is concern. I write to them about it and they told me that their manufacturer sells them as black TI, but they tought that gun metal was the same. I guess they should correct their description.

This could be a very interesting debate, how do you recognize chrome from rhodium (or platinum), black chrome from black TI or gun metal, 24k gold or 10k gold from TI gold ?

<b>And i don't mean that any reseller is not ok</b>, as far as i know they are all honestly describng their product but have to go with their manufacturer description and have to asume that they got what is on the label. Now, it's all made in China right[V]

Again, not assuming anything, please don't get all over this, just thinking and writing and mabe get interesting tought.

Alfred

gerryr

Alfred,
You're right about Wood Pen Pro, I order from the website and didn't know he also sells on eBay. As far as platings are concerned, there are some definite problems with what some suppliers call their platings. Berea sells a black plating and they call it black chrome, but it is not actually black chrome, looks like enamel or powdercoat. Wood Pen Pro is the only place that, as far as I know, that sells a true black chrome which I think is what you refer to as gunmetal. It is not the same as black ti, but looks similar.

bitshird

I have bought most of the kits I have so far, about 40 kits, including 6 Cigar and a half dozen euro/designer/Mont Blanc. the platings seem to be of good quality, no pits or marred or blotchy spots. their service is exemplary, and their prices are quite reasonable the TI plating is nearly an exact match for the TilAn coating on an 85.00 Garr endmill I have at work.
Wood & Whimsies gets my vote and my business.
Ken Ferrell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom