Easy Wood Tools: Carbide/Chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

So, CSUSA has a 20% off all Easy Wood Tools sale going on. I'm wondering how good that sale is. I've got a full-size rougher and I'm thinking about completing my collection. Is there any need to get full-size tools? I'm just a little OCD. I may get the pen turner and the finisher to complete it for me. Detailer?

Also, (if I'm asking the question, I'm probably too new to utilize the answer, but...) what is the difference between all these chucks I see for sale? I know they can grip bowls and such, but I was just wondering..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewboy22

So, CSUSA has a 20% off all Easy Wood Tools sale going on. I'm wondering how good that sale is. I've got a full-size rougher and I'm thinking about completing my collection. Is there any need to get full-size tools? I'm just a little OCD. I may get the pen turner and the finisher to complete it for me. Detailer?

Also, (if I'm asking the question, I'm probably too new to utilize the answer, but...) what is the difference between all these chucks I see for sale? I know they can grip bowls and such, but I was just wondering..

I have been looking at the same thing.

Easy Wood Chuck
Nova G3 Chuck
Barracuda 4 jaw (2, 3, and 4)
One way Chuck.

Obviously one worth more than the other but why? Why would I want to spend 300 on a one way when I barracuda is 179? (And whats with the Ti coated barracuda??? Just looks?)

Ok, now to keep this post on track... I understand being a bit OCD with missing tools, however with the price of some of these tools I have been able to curb my OCD needs and I got what I needed. For the pens and bottle stoppers I find that the mid size tools have worked well.

jttheclockman

Just bought yesterday and waiting for delivery. I went with the full size detail and round. I like the extra handle length and the tool. This is what I am used to. I tried to talk them into free shipping but they will have no part of it. I used the fact that I am a member of IAP but this too meant nothing. I did not want to make the women's day hard. :)
The pen size tools are a good deal also. Basically 2 for the price of one.

csr67

I have the mid size "rougher" and the smaller "round" mini pen tool. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the mini tool and get a mid or full size handled tool for the round cutter. I'm currently using them with replacement cutters from AZ Carbide and very happy with those as well.

low_48

The sale makes them 20% cheaper. It's not 20% cheaper than you can make them. A piece of wood, a piece of cold rolled square steel, and tap one hole, and you get the same tool for more that 75% off. I'm trying to decide if it's a joke when said the only difference in the chucks is price. I've been turning for 30 years, and the old saying you get what you pay for, still holds. You get better tolerances, and better metallurgical engineering. A Oneway is a one time purchase for a heavy user. If you turn one, 6" bowl a month, you might get by with cheap/low quality. I've had a Oneway 2436 lathe since 1998, and own 4 Oneway chucks. I wouldn't recommend anything else.

qquake

I have the Easy Start Rougher, but haven't used the square cutter. I bought the radius cutter with it, and used it quite a bit. I have since bought replacement radius and round replacement cutters from AZ Carbide. FYI, the round cutters will fit the Easy Start Rougher handle. I have to say, I haven't used carbide cutters as much as I thought I would. They haven't given my style of turning much benefit. I tend to stick with what works for me, a 1" roughing gouge, and a 3/4" forged spindle gouge.

jttheclockman

The sale makes them 20% cheaper. It's not 20% cheaper than you can make them. A piece of wood, a piece of cold rolled square steel, and tap one hole, and you get the same tool for more that 75% off. I'm trying to decide if it's a joke when said the only difference in the chucks is price. I've been turning for 30 years, and the old saying you get what you pay for, still holds. You get better tolerances, and better metallurgical engineering. A Oneway is a one time purchase for a heavy user. If you turn one, 6" bowl a month, you might get by with cheap/low quality. I've had a Oneway 2436 lathe since 1998, and own 4 Oneway chucks. I wouldn't recommend anything else.

That is not a fair statement. I could use that philosophy with anything we buy. Why not just use hand tools for everything. They are 20% cheaper and more. Why use a one-way lathe. Doesn't make it any better than a jet lathe. You paid more for the name. Many good quality lathes out there. It is a perspective view point.

Charlie_W

I rarely use a carbide tool for pens or any spindle turning. They do seem to work well on end grain hollowing or hollowing a vessel where you can't get a traditional tool.

As for chucks, I have one Nova G3 ( my first Chuck). Realize that it tightens counter clockwise and loosens clockwise. :frown:

I also have OneWay Talon and Stronghold chucks. They are my preference as are dovetail jaws over serrated. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.:)
Vicmark is another very good chuck.

Buy quality...buy it once. It will last you years...even decades....then pass it down to the next generation.

MTViper

I bought my Easy Rougher and Finisher before they offered them in sizes so mine are full size. I use them less than I used to but they get a regular workout. I rarely use them for pens, but they work well for bowls and other things I turn.

When I bought my Jet 1642 lathe, Woodcraft recommended a Supernova chuck. I now have 3 of them. Two of them have the same jaws on them all the time and the third I change jaws for different jobs. Wish I had 2 more so I'd have to change jaws less frequently. I am really impressed with the quality and precision of the chucks. I haven't handled the Easy Chuck but I've read good reviews on it. I only buy chucks and jaws when they are on sale.

Carbide Tools

I don't like carbide tools and use nothing but tools made by Carter and Son Toolworks. You do pay more but you get a 20 year warranty. Top quality USA made tools.

triw51

I have been looking at the same thing.

Easy Wood Chuck
Nova G3 Chuck
Barracuda 4 jaw (2, 3, and 4)
One way Chuck.

Obviously one worth more than the other but why? Why would I want to spend 300 on a one way when I barracuda is 179? (And whats with the Ti coated barracuda??? Just looks?)

Ok, now to keep this post on track... I understand being a bit OCD with missing tools, however with the price of some of these tools I have been able to curb my OCD needs and I got what I needed. For the pens and bottle stoppers I find that the mid size tools have worked well.

I had a super nova chuck and then went with the easy way chuck. Changing jaws takes seconds not minutes, you can do it with out removing the chuck from the lathe. In my opinion it is a good chuck, I have turned some heavy pieces and no problems.

Top Bottom