Easy Wood mini finisher

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

barkpeeler

Hi,
I need some help on this one. I'm very new to wood turning. Now I read several places that there is an advantage to having a carbide tip tool (I'm talking about the Easy Wood turning tools with replaceable carbide tip) with a square shaft. I looked at the photos and video of Easy Wood tools and they showed a square shaft so I ordered one...now maybe I haven't received the right information...this is a finishing tool with a round insert. Is a round shaft an issue or not? Do I need the flat back for control? I understand that might depend on my skill level but, please, give me some feedback from those that have used this type of tool.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Keith

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

I have only been using a carbide tool for a month but the square shaft provides better stability than my gouges and skew. The carbide tip leaves a smoother surface on the blank requiring less sanding.

barkpeeler

One thing...my bad on this...the tool from Easy Wood has a square shaft...Rockler (mini tool on sale) has a square shaft.
Keith

Last edited:

robersonjr

You would like the square shaft better but do not discard the round shaft, it is also a great tool to use, you will get used to it very easy. Robbie

barkpeeler

Robbie, I miss-spoke...I have an EWT with a square shaft and a Rockler with a round...the reviews of a similar but different Rockler tool (more expensive) had a few complaints regarding the round shaft and control issues. I need to "edit" my posts as I was not correct with the first one...sorry.
Keith

rholiday

I've been using the Easy Wood Finisher, (round carbide), for a couple of months. The square shaft makes it easier to present the tool to the work. The shaft should be used in a level position with the carbide cutting edge at the center line of the blank. Even though it is called a finisher, I take blanks from square to round with it. I've used it on wood, acrylic, and stabilized burls and blanks. I like the tool and I am happy with it. Have had some minimal chatter with it when my form was a little off. I do find it easier to use than a skew, but then again, I'm not what I would call proficient with the skew.

Dale Lynch

I have been using the EWT mini finisher for awhile now.Teriffic tool start to finish.While working with a burl recently I was having trouble keeping the tool from taking too big a bite.I rotated the shaft so that it was on the corner which allowed me to present the cutter to the work at a 45 degree angle.It made controlling the depth of the cut so much easier.Really helpfull on a really soft blank,not necessary any other time.

onewaywood

Since I bought the 3 basic tools from them I have used them for pretty much all my turning,I think there great.If you call them they will be happy to talk to you about them,they do love to talk about there tools.

Hendu3270

Both of mine are square shaft (one round cutter and one square cutter). But were made by me as I have a hard time justifying paying for something that I can make.

I find myself using the square cutter for really smoothing up a blank. Cuts down on sanding big time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom