Easy Wood Ci2 Rougher

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phillikl

Picked one of these guys up and works FANTASTIC! I am noticing some excessive splintering/chipping, is this a feature of the tool or am I doing something to cause this? Hard cross-cut (black walnut) seems to be no issues, but softer stuff with-grain cut seems to cause quite a bit of damage. Any ideas??

Merry Christmas!
~Kendall

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jderyck

I don't use that particular tool but from the looks I use something similar. I've found that rather than keeping the cutting edge parallel to the bed of the lathe I get a cleaner cut on soft woods if I hold the cutter so the edge is at about a 45 degree angle to the bed.

NotURMailman

I have the Ci3 rougher and had the same thing. Just like said above, present it at an angle so you are just cutting with the tip of the corner. I use the (square) rougher to round the blank, then I turn it to 45 deg or so and use the corner to get a bit closer to size, then I switch to the (round) finisher.

ianjwebster

+1 on jderyck - turn 45 degrees for a sort of sheer cut. Also, for me, on the softer and/or 'splintery' (sorry for the made up word!!) woods a wipe of thin CA before the final cuts really helps.

Phillikl

thanks for the assist! Have done about a dozen "flavors" of wood now, only got the splintering with mesquite. Put all the tricks to the test, and broke out of the comfort zone of the instructions.

Thanks again!
Merry Christmas!
~Kendall

nava1uni

I don't use that particular tool but from the looks I use something similar. I've found that rather than keeping the cutting edge parallel to the bed of the lathe I get a cleaner cut on soft woods if I hold the cutter so the edge is at about a 45 degree angle to the bed.

Holding it at that angle mimics a skew and that is why you get a cleaner cut.

Top Bottom