Easy Flow upgrade not retracting properly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patmurris

Hi all!

I've upgraded a few of my Parker pens with Private Reserve Easy Flow 9000 refills and in a couple of instances, it does not retract properly. It seems it rubs somewhere inside and the spring is not strong enough to push it back completely.

What i discovered is those refills are wrapped in some sort of sticker whereas most standard Parker refills are plain metal. That 'sticker' adds a bit of thickness and is less slipy then metal thus the issue on some kits - PSI Art Deco ball point and Ultra Cigar for instance.

In one case i teared off part of the sticker, in an other case i sanded the end a bit... but then, if the customer changes the refill the issue may come back...:confused:

Anyone having a similar issue?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I've seen 2 causes for this. A bit of roughness is the nose cone hole - I used a small drill bit (#39, I think) to ensure it was clear and smooth.

Also, the sticker on the refill makes it a bit fatter than standard, and it can catch on tiny burrs as it does not glide as well as metal on metal. I remove the sticker and clean up the adhesive residue with a solvent like goo-gone.

For future pens, deburr all inside parts (even if you cant see burrs). I use a counter sink bit by hand - a couple quick twists and done. This will help, but sometimes the refill sickers simply have to go.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

This can also be caused by putting the spring in upside down. Big end towards the tip usually does the trick.

SteveG

I have had the same problem from time to time. Usually it was catching on the center band coupler, a small burr. Also, once the sticker on the refill starts to hang up, it will make the problem worse. So deburr all internal parts, and switch to a new refill. This has worked for me. It would be great if Schmidt would paint those refills instead of using a sticker. Schmidt, Private Reserve...are you listening???

workinforwood

I think a survey would go about 90% for deburring as the problem. The factory parts are sharp inside and have little burrs..this is part of how they get you the parts cheap. The sticker catches on a burr and now it's stuck. If you have a cigar pen, the bur will be on the part that the nib screw on to and the transmission coupler as well. Get a debur tool and run it around the inside of your parts before you use them. As it is, you just have to reach inside with a round file and file away the edges until the refill works great. Inspect this refill. Do you see any scratches on the sticker? That is where it is catching..if the refill now has scratches on it, deburring may not fix it..simply too late. You still need to debur your parts, but also replace the refill, because now the refill has a burr on it too (a sticker burr). You can take the sticker off the refill and use it in a personal pen no problem, so it's not a total loss.

patmurris

Thanks you all for the feedback on this issue. I'm somewhat glad to hear i'm not the only one struggling with these PR refills and their infamous sticker. :rolleyes:

Although now i better understand the problem and how to fix it, i feel less inclined to get more of these refills... Do you know of any other one that's as smooth writing - and does not require to file/debur the pen parts here and there? :confused:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks you all for the feedback on this issue. I'm somewhat glad to hear i'm not the only one struggling with these PR refills and their infamous sticker. :rolleyes:

Although now i better understand the problem and how to fix it, i feel less inclined to get more of these refills... Do you know of any other one that's as smooth writing - and does not require to file/debur the pen parts here and there? :confused:

Although I am in agreement that the label presents part of this problem, "deburring" parts of our pens should not be viewed as "optional".

Anything we can do to raise the quality of the pen we are selling should be embraced as an effort to improve the image of "kit" pens.

For years, I made the "nib clearance" larger on the cigar pen. Why? Cause the only refills that fit and worked right were the ones that came with the kit. IF your customer bought a replacement refill, it did not work correctly.

Bear in mind that Schmidt (and their products that say "Private Reserve") sell refills for ALL "Parker-type" pens. So, whether YOU provide the refill or not, the problem will continue to be there unless the pen maker improves the performance, by whatever reasonable means are available.

Just more "food for thought".

IPD_Mr

Pat - The Super Bowl 8900 is a fine point version of the Easy Flow 9000 and does not have a foil label over the barrel.

workinforwood

You do realize that if you debur the parts before you use them it only takes about 2 seconds with a debur tool! Totally worth it. Even with a refill that has no sticker, a nice burr inside a part could wear through the refill sheathing and cause a leak.

patmurris

OK, i'm convinced now. I was trying to blame the refill, but the kit parts are the ones to blame... i just wish i wouldn't have to add yet another step to the assembly process. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom