Easy/cheap solution to tight fitting clips on jr. Statesmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am working on an order of 34 Jr. Statesmen pens and as many know, on about 4 out of 5, the clip hole is just a little too small and needs to be reamed out somehow. I found an easy, cheap, and quick solution:

2008217304_deburr_tool.jpg

This is a deburring tool that is available from JohnnyCNC for $4! He sent me one for the heck of it when I placed an order a while back and I had it sitting there so I decided to give it a shot. Just a twirl or so around the clip hole and the clip fits perfectly! No need to get out any power tools or files!

Just thought I would share this little tip for those who make a lot of this kit like I do.

Oh yeah, here is a link to Johnny's page where he has them for sale: http://penturnersproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=48

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

Amazinig... My debur tool is about 10 inches from the rat tail file that I have been using....never crossed my mind.
Thanks Curtis!

Tom

Daniel

Better stock up on those Johnny. I find a lot more kits with that problem than just the Statesmen. I am sending you a PM for some items I need just in case you can hunt them down. Of course I can't be an easy customer and just want what you have in stock ;)

workinforwood

I must be the lucky man out because I've spun over a hundred JR kits and never had a problem with the clip ring. I do believe it is supposed to be a close tight fit so as to reduce the chances of slipping sideways when complete. If you simply take a churchill tube you can use it to press the clip into the finial if it's a tiny bit tight. Maybe the tight fitting tendency is a defect, but maybe it is not.

jkeithrussell

I must be the lucky man out because I've spun over a hundred JR kits and never had a problem with the clip ring. I do believe it is supposed to be a close tight fit so as to reduce the chances of slipping sideways when complete. If you simply take a churchill tube you can use it to press the clip into the finial if it's a tiny bit tight. Maybe the tight fitting tendency is a defect, but maybe it is not.

It is absolutely a defect. It's not a "snug" fit. It's the kind of fit that if you press the pieces together, your barrel snaps.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
My only concern with reaming or de-burring tools (anything that removed material
from the plated surface) is that if you offer any sort of warranty on the pen, you'll
be out some money. If you you break the surface of the plating it introduces
air this can allow the base metal to oxidize. The plating won't stick to the oxidized
areas and it can eventually de-laminate.

You might be able to stall this by putting it in a bright dip and then powder coating
the part with clear, but I would still expect the plating to lift somewhere down the
road.

Top Bottom