Earth pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrjinx007

Hi folks,
I am brand new to this forum and still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of it. About eight months ago I got into pen making mainly because I was asked to make twenty pens for a lady who was travelling to France and wanted to give her family members pen gifts. It was a special gesture for her because her father was a pen maker. So, the experience took me down the path and I have been truly blessed because of it. Isn't it amazing how and when our paths cross in a positive way miracles happen?
Anyways, being a somewhat creative person, I came up with a line of pens I now call "earth pens" and am in the process of making some videos to share them with pen makers. I will post the videos on Youtube as time allows and would very much appreciate your feedback and suggestion as to how I could improve my methods. I really like the concept of "kitless" pen making and have seen a few videos about the process; WOW!
Here is my second video on how to make a leather pen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLtYpmBjyc
Thank you again for any feedback
Mahdee

leehljp

Member Liaison
I watched the video and understand the purpose of using sanding dust to fill in the gaps. However, on layer of thin CA to set the leather and then using a couple of coats of thick CA would do the same and in my experience somewhat quicker.

Adding a coating of fill-in saw dust and then sanding does work, but on occasion, white spots begin to show up under the final coats of finish such as CA or Lacquer.

WELCOME to IAP.

Lots of great information here on pen turning: http://www.penturners.org/forum/library.php

mrjinx007

Thanks for the information. I will try your suggestion on the next one. Easier and faster is always better.

jonjon

I admire your creativity in thinking up a way to make a leather pen. I tried one a while back and took a totally different approach.

I cut the leather into 1 inch squares and drilled a hole for the tube in each one. Then I stacked them on the tube. I used several colors of leather so I could have a subtle pattern. Once I got the pattern the way I liked it, I glued them on the tube and clamped them tightly. This pushed them together to where no fill was really required. Then I turned it like I would most any pen and CA finished it.

It just show there are a lot of ways to get to the same end. And who is to say what is right. I like the earth pen idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom