E ER 25 vs ER32 collets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarrierBob

I'm considering a collet chuck and collets. I have checked out the ones on e-bay and think that either ER 25 or Er 32 are about the best overall. What is the advantage /disadvantage of the larger set size of the ER32? Will a ER 25 do most jobs? 800watt has some good prices for sets, but limited for the MT2 that I need. Any thoughts??? Thanks Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipecrafter

ER-25 collets have a maximum size of 16mm - far smaller than most of what I need it for. Ideally, I'd have a 5C chuck and full compliment of collets - but those things are *expensive*.

its_virgil

Get a Beall collet chuck and a set of ER32's from 800watt. You will not be disappointed. Chucks for ER32's are available from other places. I consider one that screws onto the lathe's nose threads to be a better choice than an MT2 chuck. ER32's go up to 3/4 of the inch...ER25's don't come that big...maybe 1/2 of the inch is the largest.

If you just want a better way to hold a mandrel check out MT2 collets:
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=874479994 or give mandrel-less turning a try.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I'm considering a collet chuck and collets. I have checked out the ones on e-bay and think that either ER 25 or Er 32 are about the best overall. What is the advantage /disadvantage of the larger set size of the ER32? Will a ER 25 do most jobs? 800watt has some good prices for sets, but limited for the MT2 that I need. Any thoughts??? Thanks Bob

jttheclockman

I di what Don Ward did and love it. I bought the beall set but when it was discussed here about that guy selling the kits on ebay, I went and bought one of those and man that thing has been used alot. Great for doing cartridge pens and turning round blanks. Another good investment.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
ER-25 collets have a maximum size of 16mm - far smaller than most of what I need it for. Ideally, I'd have a 5C chuck and full compliment of collets - but those things are *expensive*.

I wish I knew that. I just gave away about two dozen 5C collets..

Randy_

If you buy a set from 800watt, get the 21 piece(?) metric set. If you buy the Imperial set in 1/16ths, there are some small gaps in the grip range. Probably not a big deal for most people; but the price difference is so small that there is no point in not being safe!!

Top Bottom