Dymondwood Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

This is my very first attempt using Dymondwood. I read somewhere that it gets a natural lasting shine when sanded to 12000 MM and that all that is required for a finish is plastic polish . They were right about it getting a great shine and the plastic polish also looks great. So is this the right thing to do on Dymondwood or should they be fully finished with some other method. I have no idea why this particular picture doesn't show the shine. It has a knock-your-eye out shine but just didn't show. ... picture taking..aarrgg ! !
The other one is just a wormy maple pen and I don't really like it at all. I can't imagine anyone buying it and I wouldn't give it as a gift so I am going to diassasemble it and re-use the hardware.
W.Y.
dymondwood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Well everyone has a right to there opinion, and I think that your wormy maple is really nice. I like it, I would let the customers make the choise. IMHO

Wayne

Fred in NC

I agree with Wayne! Both pens are very nice. You will be surprised what people like. Different people have different taste.

As for the shine, was the pen scanned?

William Young

Yes . . The first picture was scanned. I just finished taking another picture but this time with my camera. This is the same pen and the coloring is almost identical to the real thing. The coloring in the scanned one is way off reality. This picture shows that the pen indeed does have a shine.
W.Y.
71901030.jpg

Bob A

William, I don't know the answer to your question. I have finished a couple of diamondwood pens with friction polish and buffed on the beall. I got a nice shiny finish but I don't know how durable the finish will be.

By the way, if I had to choose between the two pens I would choose the wormy maple. :)

Bob

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I can't help you with the Dymondwood question as I haven't turned it yet, but I bet the wormy maple pen sells. Also, for an attempt at remote diagnostics, what did you use as a background when you scanned the dymondwood? [8D]

William Young

OK guys;
You have convinced me that I should put the wormy maple one on sale and see what happens. I could always transform it into something else later if it doesn't go.

Lou.
I just put the pens onto the glass floor of the scanner and put the lid down on top. The inside of the lid is snow white. It scans from the bottom up .. right ? ? ? Or does it reflect off the white ceiling and scan down onto the top of the pen ? ? Dunno ! !
I have never had much luck with scanners for any purpose. Cant send script emails with them, cant get patterns to email because they always shift sideways and clip off about 1/4 of the picture even though it shows good in the preview. I am on my fourth scanner in as many years and I thought maybe I had finally found a use for a scanner but with the mess that it makes of my pens , I guess it is not much good for that either. I have just about totally given up on tyring to figure out scanners. This one is part of a 3 way scanner / copier / printer or I wouldn't have even bought another scanner. I sure like the excellent color photocopies that HP psc 750 produces though.
W.Y.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
W.Y...You are right in how the scan works. You do, however, run the risk of front and back lighting being reflected through the finish. I put a pillow case on my cover and hold it in place with a clothes pin. That way I get a light absorbing backdrop. Just a thought. [8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The light passes from underneath and that is the angle of the picure. You also end up with a mirror image for that same reason. BUT, the light does reflect through the finish from both the top and bottom.

Rusty

Place a piece of paper with an X on one side of the paper , scan it, flip paper, scan it. you should be able to determine which side is scanned.

William Young

Thanks for the scanning tips guys. I am back at playing catch up on fretwork clocks right now . Got an order for 20 more larger clocks in a variety of 4 or 5 different patterns and then I have to make another 25 mini clocks. But I try to squeeze in some pen turning whenever I get a chance and of course I always take time to check out the forums.

Hey , take a look at my new lathe. Should be able to crank out some great stuff with that beauty . [:eek:)]
W.Y.
Turning_cartoon_200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom