Dymondwood and acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skeenum

I know this question has likely been asked/answered in prior posts, however, I can't find the exact answer.
I have ordered Dymondwood and acrylic blanks for the first time. Do these blanks cut, drill and turn similar to wood blanks? Can you cut them on the tablesaw, drill them with HSS brad point drill bits,turn with a skew/gouge, etc.
I am new to turning, though I have cut plastic on my tablesaw before (with mixed results, some melting).
I appreciate any advice that you may offer.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome to the forum!!!

Where you from??? What's your first name???

Now, to your question. Yes, we use the same tools. HOWEVER, sharpening takes on a new meaning. Send me an e-mail through the forum software (first icon above is "profile", click on it, my profile shows, send e-mail, click on it.). This will allow me to "reply" to you and attach a tutorial on making a resin cigar pen. LOTS of tips that will help.

PLAN on blowing out a few.

Jerryconn

The dymondwood can be tough as well, getting them thoroughly glued to the tube, especially at the ends is important. You may want to suportt the blank with a pair of pliers on the crosscut sides when running a pen mill on the ends. If the milll is not sharp it can catch one of the layers or slices and rip a chunk right off. DAMHIKT ;) The same thing can happen when turning, keep your tools aharp and take light cuts, especially when getting to the final dimensions

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Don't drill THROUGH diamondwood or MOST plastics.

Drill just shy of the end, cut the end off.

Ignoring this will cost you LOTS of blanks!

skeenum

Thanks to each of you for your replies and cautions. I appreciate the spirit of cooperation and help here!
Ed has sent me a tutorial that deals with most of my concerns. Each of you have contributed helpful information.
Thanks again,

Stan

Top Bottom