Dymondwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

12:42 AM here in God's Country(Alabama). Just came in from the shop...just realized, I'm gonna lose an hours sleep and I got up this morning at 3 and went to work....lol. Oh well I'm hooked on pens, what can I say? Anyway, turned my first dymondwood tonight.LOVE THE STUFF!!! and man is it pretty!!! Used the one called Carnival and turned it to a 24Kt Designers Twist and left it a lil fat....I'll post pictures tomorrow....er today along with several others I made.....Oh yeah blew out my first blank tonight too...Holly, but I think I've got it glued back up. We'll see later after I get some sleep!...Later folks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kevin M

Sounds to me like you got it real bad, maybe you should see your doctor.[:D] I do the same thing though, work all day, tinker in the shop during the evening, sit in front of this box until late. Spring is finally here so available time will be getting tighter, having to be outside more getting yard work done and the pool ready. We are patiently waiting for the pictures so hurry up will ya!

dougle40

Mick,
I'm with you , I love turning Dymondwood . The finish that you can get on it is out of this world . I but mine in 30" long straight grain strips and cut and glue them to produce a diagonal pattern .

Rifleman1776

I am pretty skeptical about using dymondwood any more for anything. Like others, it has blown out on me while drilling. I hate waste and especially wasting money. And, this week, I found a duck call I had made about a year ago had just come apart. The laminations simply split open while the item was setting. (inside, controlled climate) A potential $50.00 item now waste. To say nothing of original cost of material and my turning time. I wrote to HUT explaining the situation but they haven't responded. They may have lost a good customer. I'll never buy laminated products again.

butcherofwood

I tried colorwood and found that the finish was poor and tended to cip at bad times. I use my own method now, real wood cut down and glued up by me, LOL. tried Corian awhile back and found it to be hard to turn, not too bad, but beautiful finish and holds a great shine even after being in my pocket for a few months. Strongly reccomend anyone using it have a good sharp set of tools though, I use a Tormek and it is fantastic for getting a razor sharp edge.

atvrules1

Well all, I have mixed feelings on Dymondwood. The wife (SWMBLT) saw some in a magazine and didn't rest until I had ordered some. I messed up a blank while drilling it, then messed up another while turning it. I have learned....Light pressure, small gentle cuts is the secret. Once it is done though, it takes a very nice polish. The wife has had her pen about one and a half years now without it splitting. I believe it is at least worth a try.
Alan
Fredonia AZ

dougle40

These pics are of some straight Dymondwood that I and glued up to produce a diagonal pattern . When I do the glue-up I always use "Hot Stuff" glue and I've not had any problems with them at all .
The pics are from 2 different colors of Dymondwood that were glued up for a diagonal pattern .

Both sides of the same pen
20054434835_Double%20pens%20sm.jpg
<br />

Cigar done from the twin of the one above .
912_Dymondwood%20Cigar%20004%20%20-1%20sm%201%20sm.jpg
<br />

Showing the glue joint of the 2 colors .
5443500_Dymondwood%20Pen%20Trans.%20001-1%20Marked.jpg
<br />

Doghouse

Personaly I never use the stuff:
Winged%20bowl.jpg

I had a change to go to Vermont where they make it. Great stuff. It is hard as a rock when you turn it. I have found that scraping to the rough shape then skewing the finished form helps a lot. For bowls, I just scrape then sand.

Rifleman1776

dougle40 said, "When I do the glue-up I always use "Hot Stuff" glue and I've not had any problems with them at all ."
The problems I originally stated had nothing to do with any glueing problems. The material itself simply separated along lamination layers. The material failed. [:(] In fact, the main body of the duck call in question doesn't have any joints or areas that would be glued.
Turning, as some have stated, can be difficult, this is very hard stuff. Finishing is easy, it does sand and polish beautifully. I'm not sure if an added finish is necessary but I put one on anyhow.
But, for me, that is a mute issue. I won't be using the stuff anymore.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree with the above comments (although I've not experienced cracking- I always say, "Yet!"). The thing about diamondwood is: IT SELLS. If you are doing craft shows, have SOME available-they will sell throughout the day, even at Bad shows. Keeps you awake.

Ed
Racine, WI

Rifleman1776

I might have to eat my own words about not using it anymore. Checked my supply of pen blanks and have about a dozen in there. Oh, well. I'll be using only on slimlines to keep expenses down on blow-outs while drilling.

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />I agree with the above comments (although I've not experienced cracking- I always say, "Yet!"). The thing about diamondwood is: IT SELLS. If you are doing craft shows, have SOME available-they will sell throughout the day, even at Bad shows. Keeps you awake.

Ed
Racine, WI

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Frank,

I assume this is old info, but if you cut the blanks a quarter inch longer than you need and drill to an eighth inch from the bottom, then cut them to length on the band saw, Blow-out is not a factor. Of course, turn from the ends toward the middle and be very careful at the ends. I use a parting tool to turn down to the bushing at both ends and in the middle, then turn as usual (carefully and sharp, of course)

dougle40

The problems I originally stated had nothing to do with any glueing problems. The material itself simply separated along lamination layers. The material failed.
Frank,
Obviously I misunderstood what you meant . I've not had any do that to me as of yet !!!! Knock on wood !!!!!

Rifleman1776

Ed, good tips. I may try. But, then, I may turn my dymondwood blanks into trading material. I don't like stuff that goes boom in my face. Yesterday I had another material go bust while turning. Then I did a Baron from Bethlehem Olivewood. Literally like going from hades to heaven. I like heaven better.

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Frank,

I assume this is old info, but if you cut the blanks a quarter inch longer than you need and drill to an eighth inch from the bottom, then cut them to length on the band saw, Blow-out is not a factor. Of course, turn from the ends toward the middle and be very careful at the ends. I use a parting tool to turn down to the bushing at both ends and in the middle, then turn as usual (carefully and sharp, of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom