Dying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

musky

What do you all dye your wood with? I need to make a pink and an orange pens and was going to dye some. Which pen color would look best with these colors, gold, chrome, silver, ect?? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

What do you all dye your wood with? I need to make a pink and an orange pens and was going to dye some. Which pen color would look best with these colors, gold, chrome, silver, ect?? Thanks

Musky; I use Trans-tint right out of the bottle. I sometimes apply dye to dyed pens that aren't "vivid" enough for me. WEAR GLOVES!!!!!

I also sometimes dye a pen a specific color for a customer. Be sure to seal the dye to keep it from coming off on the hands..........

For pink and orange, I would say gold fittings.

scroller99

I use aniline dye to color my pens and of coarse a light colored wood helps, and I always liked chrome with light colored dye and the darker dye jobs with brass. aniline powder is hazardous to your health so be careful in use good luck Howard

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I also use TransTint, but I mix it with denatured alcohol and load it
onto the blank. Easier to use less by doing it that way. I can always
add more, and since I have a 600 watt photo light over my shoulder,
the blank dries as I watch. Then I move the 600 watt light because
it burns the spot on my head where my hair used to be..

As for colors, I have to admit that I have NO IDEA how things
'go together' .. I'm one of those people who would have no problem
wearing plaids and stripes. But I've been told I should stick to plain
colors just to be safe. (my lime green leisure suit works just fine)
Some people have an eye for those things. I'm not one of them.

nava1uni

I use light colored wood like maple holly, or ash. I use food coloring, as it comes in many colors and can be mixed easily to get a wide range of colors. I also use Dr.pH Martin's liquid Radiance watercolors. None of these are toxic or dangerous to use. I finish the pen so that it is all ready and sanded with MM to 12000 or I burnish it with a brown paper bag and then it is ready to dye. I use the liquid watercolors or food coloring without diluting it. I apply multiple coats allowing each to dry between until I obtain the color I want the pen. If necessary I burnish it again. Then I apply either a light CA finish or wipe on poly after making sure the pen is completely dry. With bright colors I often use silver, chrome or nickel finishes. If you have further questions feel free to PM. I do lots of dying of wood.

ldb2000

Like Cindy , I also use just plain Food Coloring , McCormick's brand that come in the little drop shaped bottles . It dries fast and can be recoated as many times as you want to make the colors more vivid . They also make it in bigger bottles and lots of colors including pink and orange , those colors are used to color Icing for cakes . Larger Supermarkets will have most of them .
To keep the colors bright and lasting you should use a good finish , CA , Lacquer or poly work fine , friction polishes will wear quickly and allow moisture to enter and fade the colors very quickly .
As for kit platings , for the orange I would use gold and for the pink Chrome or silver , or Black Ti will work with both colors.

Top Bottom