Dying CA....?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

I've got a cholla cast in a crimson alumilite, even though under 70psi it still managed to form an air bubble...right in a cholla void against the brass tube a my Gatsby click. I'm wondering if I can use my alumilite dye in some thick CA to hide the brass tube... funny thing, I could have sworn I painted and reverse painted the blank/tube, guess not. But I do plan on panting the tube now before the CA refill.

2013-11-11_16-23-53_720.jpg

What's your suggestions to try to salvage this blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

I suppose it is possible to die CA but I suspect that if you try it it will just activate in the mixing process and become of glob of acrylic not usable for much of anything.

If it were me I would simple mix up another very small batch of crimson Alumilite and use it as a patch after painting the tube. You may want to build a small dike with tape or clay around the cavity to make sure that the new pour is above the circumference of the blank, especially if you are already close to finish diameter. Just MHO.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have not tried using Alumilite dyes, but thick CA can be tinted with Perl-ex powder but the working time is less than 1 minute.

mvande21

I once tried to die some epoxy to use the reverse paint method. That didn't work as I thought it would. Maybe CA reacts differently than an epoxy. Otherwise, just mix a little bit of Alumilite and pour it into the void and carefully pressurize it while the fixed part of the blank is facing up.

ElMostro

What Mannie said, pearl-ex works but you need to be fast. Also, was that the only bubble or did you get a few? Reason I ask is that if you had several it may be moister in the cholla.
Eugene.

redneckmedic

I baked/vacuumed in CJ/and rebaked the cholla, I doubt it was moister, but could be.

I plan on dying some cold thick CA, after painting the tube.....we shall see.

Top Bottom