Dyeing Wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wickford

Just wondering if anyone can guide to a relatively simple method for dyeing wood? I have a nice supply of curly and fiddleback maple and I'd like to try altering the color, but I'm not sure where to start...??

Any suggestions or recommendations would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
tn_Purple%20curly.jpg

Food coloring. Try here
http://www.sugarcraft.com/
I've used Americolor 3/4 0z bottles

Fred

Definitely recommend the use of food colorings. They are inexpensive, usually finish friendly, readily available, and most user friendly. Sugarcraft has a very nice selection too. ;)

ldb2000

Just be careful to use food coloring without sugar (the gels with sugar don't penetrate and tend to glop up) I use McCormick Food coloring/Egg Dye and apply with a papertowl after I do the final sanding then finish with CA as normal

tn_Greenmaple.jpg
tn_Redmaple.jpg
tn_bluemaple2.jpg

LabTrnr

I read somewhere that food color dyes fade after too much exposure to UV light, haven't tried any so I don't know first hand. There are aniline dyes available, they may be more light fast.

fernhills

Hi,i use Anniline dye,its made for dyeing wood. I use it a lot,i get good results when i use it to dye light highly figured woods,or light spalted woods. Carl

2008552424_Hpim0701.jpg

nava1uni

I use acrylic model paints. I apply it with a lint free cloth; then use a clean one to wipe off the excess. I do this 2-4 times until I get the depth I want. I then apply wipe on poly using a lint free cloth in a manner similar to friction polish. I put on 3 to 4 coats. Let it set up for a while then use paste wax and polish to a nice finish.

wickford

Thanks all for these great ideas!! I have some food coloring here so I'll try that first...

Can anyone provide a source for that anniline dye? Might try that next if I'm not successful with food coloring...I have a bunch of very curly maple, so I'm anxious to see what different colors will look like...I hope I can get the results of some of the pics that were posted in this thread!!

Again thanks!! I'll post pics when I get one made!

fernhills

Hi,you can get Trans Tint dye from Woodcraft,it is the same as anniline dye,i`m not positive that it is pronounced that way but its simular.Remember a little goes a looooonnnggg way,when it is just pens. Carl

tmhawk

I have a question about Dyes, especially food coloring dye. Many of you seem to have used these dyes. I have some Mahogany, it has wonderful chatoyance (shimmer/glow). Will the dye reduce the glow? The pictures posted so far show incredibly great finishes.
Thanks.

clthayer

Alton has a good place to buy food coloring above and it works very very well, but I found that if you don't have a good solid finish your fingers can turn blue, or whatever color you use.

Christian

SuperDave

Originally posted by tmhawk

I have a question about Dyes, especially food coloring dye. Many of you seem to have used these dyes. I have some Mahogany, it has wonderful chatoyance (shimmer/glow). Will the dye reduce the glow? The pictures posted so far show incredibly great finishes.
Thanks.

I have used it on Oak and it really accents the rays. Don't know about the Mahogany. I tend to rely on lighter colored woods that will take color really well. I have a Yellow and Red bottle stopper that turned out really cool and "shimmer" popped, although the picture doesn't really show it.

Experiment.

D

ttle%20Stopper-Yellow-Red%20Sycamore-End%20600-446.jpg

tle%20Stopper-Yellow-Red%20Sycamore-Side%20600-388.jpg

heineda

Hello,

I recently purchased some Box Elder Burl blanks, and quickly realized they needed to stabilized. I had never don it before, but decided to give it a try. I put the wood in the bottom of a Tupperware container, added one bottle of MinWax Wood Hardner, and a good squeeze of blue TransTine I bought from Woodcraft. The nexty morning I went out to the garage to agitate the mixture, and the container was dry! The blanks soaked it all up, I took them out to dry, and they are tuirning nicely, and are gorgous.

Dan

Top Bottom