Dyeing Corn Cobs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bajacrazy

I know somewhere I saw a post on what someone used to dye corn cobs. Can’t seem to find it. If I was seeing things how bought of some suggestions for some nice colors.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Don't know what kind of look you want but Iused magic markers on these
corncob%20trio.jpg

I covered them entirely with magic marker and then blended the colors with an alcahol dipped t-shirt.
Once you add the ca for the finish you need to sand it back down,

Gary Max

I just use plain old food color--it is in the baking/cake aisle at your grocery store. I apply it by holding my finger against the blank as it is spinning. Just a tiny drop on your finger tip and spread it out. I color the blank after it is sanded and is ready to finish. The stuff I bought even has a chart on how to mix different colors.

You may find the dye in food coloring is not fade resistant. In fact will fade quite quickly. Find your favorite colors and get some good quality wood dye that has a much longer lifetime.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
About the best dyes I have found are the Chestnut Brand dyes sold by CSU... light fast and really bright... thin them a little and you can get an even more transparent tint... and they dry quick too..

bajacrazy

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />I buy them at Walmart in the pet food section---already dried to 12%.
Just shell them and start making pens.
Gary, I knew someone here mentioned Wal-Mart as a source for corncobs. Thanks I took your advice they work great.[8D]

bajacrazy

Thanks Chuck
I must have been tired or something, I should have figured this one out.[:I] I bought my jet mini laths and a lot of pen kits from them before going to BB at AS. I think we should have an Acronyms page for reference, especially when you’re tired and not thinking straight.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom