Dyed Wood -- How to??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

I would like to make some laminate segments for pens. I would like to make several at one time so I would like to take some thin stock wood and dye it the colors I needs. Then laminate them together and cut them so I can add them to my turning stock is various locations.

I need a way to dye wood that would penetrate so the color is still good when turned.

Here on my questions:

What species of wood dyes well/consistent?
What type of dye or stain should I use? Looking for primary colors.
Any links to processes would be helpful.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would like to make some laminate segments for pens. I would like to make several at one time so I would like to take some thin stock wood and dye it the colors I needs. Then laminate them together and cut them so I can add them to my turning stock is various locations.

I need a way to dye wood that would penetrate so the color is still good when turned.

Here on my questions:

Thanks

I am new to dying wood, but If I am dying on the lathe, I apply staright food dye (Sugarless) just like a polish or finish. I have had great results with maple, especially when Its figured.

okiebugg

One GI brat to another. One ret. Marine to a flyboy

Here on my questions:

Thanks

The title is just pulling your leg.......Back in the day, if we couldn't find Fly-boys or Squids to fight with, we fought among ourselves.

I haven't found much wood to be porous enough to really suck up the dye. I do use dye (Analine) when I am putting a finish on a bowl or platter to contrast the rest of the wood on the turned object. It makes a nice finish and shines like a diamond in a proverbial goat's behind.

Another thing I do is use 3/8" or 1/4" Basswood boards. Cut them into slats about 2" to 2 1/2" inches wide. Basswood will absorb dye. The boards are about 20" long. I put green analine dye on one side of each board. The other gets red analine dye. These dye's will absorb into the Basswood to a fairly good depth. Using a good clear wood glue to glue the green side to the other green side red to red etc. What you get when this dries is a board with alternating colors of Christmas. Not subtle, but enough to let you see what you've done. Mainly I do Christmas presents and do a lot for people in need. Bracelet buddies, birdhouses, Christmas ornaments, Pens and pencils and other jiggity things to donate.

FWIW, I hope this helps. Jimmy OK I'll recognize the USAF just this one time as the veterans that they are. I am up to date on Combat Controllers and how they risk their life on any given day. To be complete though I have to mention the flying rescue teams--They remind me of back in the day in VN where the helicopter windows were all changed from tempered glass to plexiglass so the pilots and corpsmen wouldn't end up losing their eyesight if the chopper took a hit. Sorry to be off topic....Jimmy

Alzey

:biggrin: The funny thing is my new VP at work is a Marine Electronics Office (there is no such thing as an ex-Marine:)). We starting talking about what we did in the service and it turns out we both worked on the same mobile Command and Control System (AN/TYQ-23).

And from one Vet to another, THANKS for your service. You defiantly had it a lot worse than I did.

USAF 1988-1998

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I would suggest buying already dyed pen blanks and cutting them to the thickness you want. If that is not an option, then you can buy dyed veneer strips here.
If you want to dye your own, than I would suggest you contact MesquiteMan (Curtis) about using his Cactus Juice with a dye. I've been experimenting with this method with some success. Curtis has done a lot more than I, so he should be able to answer any questions on this method.

Alzey

I would suggest buying already dyed pen blanks and cutting them to the thickness you want.

That is what I figured I would have to do. I have also looked at using Corian or PR to get the look i was looking for. I just wanted to see if there was any easy way to it with wood.

BTW...Thanks for the great deal on CA. Love the product.

KenV

Some thoughts and hair splitting -- Color can come through dyes or pigments. Dyes have different processes and different dyes have better "color fast" permanence. Food colors, for example, are amongst the least color fast of dyes.

Thickness and ability of the coloring materials to penetrate make a big difference.

or example, I use inks to color veneers with good success. Inks use very fine pigments to provide a lasting color (pigments do not fade with ultraviolet as dyes do). Veneers tend to be quite open to accepting color. Multiple layers of colored veneer can be laminated with care to provide thicker colored stock.

Movement of color may also be a concern. Water soluble dyes can move into PVA glues like titebond and migrate. Dyes that are "fixed" by heat or chemical processes do not migrate as much.

Many of the dyes used by weavers and knitters can be used with wood, and fixed in similar manner. Darma Trading is one source for these dyes.

Top Bottom