dyed pen experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I wanted to try some dyed wood pens so I got some of the artisan dye. It is alcohol base. I had a pretty bland piece of spalted maple and hit it with the red, full strength. Actually it worked pretty well. I applied the dye after complete sanding and it went on smoothly and evenly. After it was dry I gently applied some sanding sealer and got very little dye rubbing off. Then some friction polish. The sealer really helped eliminate the red color buffing off. I can see doing some more, maybe in lighter color washes or blending colors. I am going to see if I can put a piece of tape on the barrel and apply dye without any bleeding. Don't know about that. Anyone else experimented with dyed wood pens.

20051301531_red.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Very nice Jim. That's one of the advantages of using dyes on wood. They usually go on easy and more even than stains.

G

Just magic marker "dye" on corn cobs.
I like the way it looks nice"dye job"
Nice pen.

Gregory Huey

Great looking pen and the dye looks like it is very even. I doubt if tape will stop the dye. I know it will not work on stain. It just wicks under the tape. Sounds like the wire burn just mite do the trick.

ryannmphs

WOW, I have a bunch of plain maple laying around from a project that I started but never finished. hmmm, looks like a trip to the craft store is in order.

BTW, that pen looks great!!!

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom