dye and wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
when you dye wood, what kind of dye are you using, food or clothing? when your dying wood, do you just soak the wood or use a pressure tank?
inquiring minds.....mine.....want to know.

laurie

mrcook4570

I use alcohol based aniline dyes to dye the surface of wood after my final sanding. I have also used permanent markers. I'm not sure if food coloring will keep its color very long and I believe clothing dyes must be set by heat.

Stabilized blanks are dyed under a vacuum.

Scott

Hi Laurie,

Like Stan, I apply color to the wood after turning and sanding. I actually like to use colored pens, such as Sharpies or Prismacolor pens (both by Sanford). Using pens, I can use a couple of different colors on a pen, and blend them together using a couple of drops of alcohol on a paper towel.

I have used some of the aniline dyes, and they work OK, but I didn't feel I got intense enough colors using them. Emory McLaughlin had some luck using silk dyes, and I remember his colors being quite intense.

I hope this helps!

Scott.

Tom McMillan

I have used some silk dyes---called Dye-Na-Flo as I recall. They're a bit hard to find---look in the art department of a Michael's or Craft store. It's been awhile since I've used them---seems I read once to wet the wood before applying them let dry and sand smooth then apply the dye---hopefully it won't raise the wood as much then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom