Dust mask/respirator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddy1

After getting a chest cold which I first thought was a cough due to inhaling so much dust from turning pens, I have decided to get protection. Any advice regarding the best way to keep dust out of my lungs?--besides not breathing in [:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dust Collectors are the best overall - but not everyone has the room, or maybe money, for one. They are a little noisy and in some cases very noisy. THat alone keeps me from using one.

Fans - blowing over the work area blows dust and fumes away.

Masks: MANY levels of this available:
- Simple white (or blue) mouth/nose masks
- canister or individual or special filter masks, single or double
- full face masks
- full head respirators

NOt all of these work for everyone. Because one works for one person does not mean it will work for another. Each person's allergy is different. Each person's physiology is different and therefore needs are different.

I evidently have large lungs and single filters are filled with water in a matter of minutes. Even making masks too tight, moisture escapes to fog my glasses. It takes the two filter/canister masks and over glasses goggles for me.

I bought the Triton back in June. It works fine for protection but I have one issue with it. In the summer when it is hot, (above 85°) humidity climbs fairly fast inside and the air replacement is not fast enough to keep the humidity out and the respirator begins to fog up. I am not the norm to judge this by though. I haven't read of anyone else having the problem with moisture build up with face masks and on glasses as much as I do, so for most people I would say it would work much better.

I love my woodworking and I love pen turning. I am going to do those, so for me, it is a matter of finding the right health protection items that fit me.

gerryr

I have a Triton and so does DCBluesman. I like my Triton and use it all the time, summer and winter. You do have to keep the pre-filter clean and the battery reasonably well charged or the air flow will decrease and it can get real warm in that bubble. I now one person locally who has a Trend and the fan in his quit after a couple of months, but he never bothered to get it repaired or replaced. I can tell you that Triton has very good customer service. My just quite working one day so I called them. They told me what they thought the problem was, how to fix it, and also sent me a new motor. They were right about what the problem was and I was able to fix it, so now I have a spare motor.

palmermethod

I have a Trend that I got on sale. I also have a dust collection system but DC won't necessarily pick up fine sanding dust and if you are blowing dust off projects it will just hang in the air.

The Trend is the best solution for both my outdoor allergies and shop protection although it takes some getting use to. I had to fiddle with it to get a semi-comfortable fit but after that it was fine.

My biggest problem was to stop myself from blowing air from my mouth while the mask is on. Hard habit to break. I too have had reactions to exotic as well as walnut woods. I'd recommend a ventilated mask highly.

Rifleman1776

Those mentioned are, of course, fine and well tested. They are also expensive. For a lower cost, you might want to try the Dust-Bee-Gone mask. At about $35.00, I find it is very effective. I use mine when milling red cedar. I seem to have a particular sensitivity to that dust. I also wear it when mowing the lawn in dry weather.

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Those mentioned are, of course, fine and well tested. They are also expensive. For a lower cost, you might want to try the Dust-Bee-Gone mask. At about $35.00, I find it is very effective. I use mine when milling red cedar. I seem to have a particular sensitivity to that dust. I also wear it when mowing the lawn in dry weather.

Dust-B-Gone does NOT meet NIOSH/OSHA standards and is only good to 3 microns ( www.dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html. - then click on dust masks)

Dust-B-Gone will not filter the dust in the 1 micron range, which is the real danger to your lungs.

So, as long as you are not sanding, Dust-B-Gone is a good product.

mdburn_em

A good half-face respirator is in the $30 range. Cartridges will run $10-$20. You can get them for a pretty good price on EBay. You can get the cartridges in a box for a better value than buying a pack of 2. You need to get the right size and test it to make sure air doesn't leak on the inhale or exhale. You'll never smell that antler.

Petricore

I went to home depot in the painting section and bought their particulate filter. it is rated to handle wood dust (called and verified) and was like 30 bucks. the refills are cheap, it works really good, and has carbon in it so blocks all the bad smells I generate (from turning of course).

BigguyZ

I have the A/O safety respirator from Menards. But I really only wear that when I really make some dust- or work with MDF. Otherwise, I use the cool max dust masks, again from A/O safety, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom