Dust extraction setup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

titan2

Yes on the first one........sorry, haven't had the opportunity to use it yet!

Look in the library....I think you'll find some write-up on some dust collectors that others have made with scrap lumber and home AC filters.

Good Luck,

Barney

Fred

I have the first one and after several turning/finishing sessions the thing was so covered with waxes, glues, etc. that I just took it off.

For my vote, I would advise you to just make some way to hold your vacuum hose as close to the cutting area as possible and go for it. You should get better suction as the "power" is right where you need it and not spread out over a larger surface area.

Loc-Line makes an excellent adjustable 2.5" setup for the shop vacuum systems many of us are using and I find that to be extremely useful. For $39.95 their system has all you might need and is a great addition to dust collection. Here is their site link directly to the 2.5" kit ...

http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line...b888fa5285989988.e3eTaxaQbxmTe34Pa38Ta38Na350

The site can get confusing if you look at all the 'stuff', so if you have problems trying to decide what you need, post your questions here or PM me and I'll do my best to help you out. I use this setup at every 'source' of dust or chips in the shop. Couldn't be happier! This is in addition to my Jet Cannister 4" DC System and it really helps out.

Last edited:

lorbay

I have all of them and use them all the time for different jobs. Sure they get stuff on them but it dosen't stop them sucking.

Lin.

DJS588

I have a similar hood from Rockler, for my Jet 1014. It was difficult to get it properly adjusted. So I looked and found an article from Americanwoodworker.com
Go to their site and click on "Tips" then scroll down and click on Dust Collection Tips" Look at the "User-Friendly Dust Hood".
I made one and it really makes things easier. The 1x2's raise the hood enough to allow free movement of the tool rest.
Just a suggestion.

Lenny

Ok, laugh if you want to ... but I found a big plastic jug that happened to have an opening that perfectly fit a coffee can .... the coffee can perfectly fits a 4" dust collection hose. I cut two U shapes out of each side of the plastic jug to clear the chuck and live center. Works just well enough to keep me from looking for something "better"!

fernhills

I just run my Rigid vacuum hose and have it spring clamped to the banjo on my lathe. I use that thingy you use to contain the hose when it is rolled up. I move the banjo and the hose moves with it.

bradh

I just took some 4" plastic clothes-dryer-vent-tube and hold it to the lathe bed/banjo with some wire-ties that come with those made-in-china toys. The wire ties are very heavy duty and hold the pipe at what ever angle you want. Cost: about $4.

Attachments

• lathe-new-rs.jpg
    lathe-new-rs.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 442

CV Wood

I have used the clear dust hood from PSI for a year. I am very happy with the way it work when turning pens or other small items.

Rangertrek

I have the clear hood from PSI. It works well. I like the magnetic hold to the lathe bed. The "lid" has cheap plastic hinge pins that broke within 2 days of use, so I just took it off.

GaryMGg

I hammered together a little box from plywood scraps; it's only as wide as my narrow tool rest.
I drilled a hole for the ShopVac hose in the bottom -- I have a set of large holesaw bits -- and with a tiny bit of filing it holds the hose perfectly.
The side of the box has a long "leg" nailed to the outside edge which drops between the ways.
It catches most of the turning dust and shavings.
I probably put 20 minutes into putting it together.

johnm

Look up threads started by mesquiteman, he did a how to on 100% (or darn near) dust removal that had most if not all issues worked out, really looked nice.

Top Bottom