Dust Control...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BogBean

Hi,
I need to find a better system of dust control. What do you guys use? If you use a face mask what type do you use?...Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Chuck,I found a Delta portable dust collector on sale at Lowes and use that. Before that, I had a small fan that I set up to blow across the lathe. It was still messy, but at least the dust and chips did not fly in my face. Save your pennies for a d/c, you will NEVER regret it. Not to be gross, but if you blow wood putty out of your nose, you and your lungs are the big losers!

Dario

I use a dust collector [:D]

Kidding aside...I really do but I also use 3M (8210) face mask. They are disposable but usually last me a few weeks each.

Like this ( http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/eserv/eclipse.ecl?PROCID=WEBDISP.WOEB.MAIN&ID_1=6&ID_2=876&ID_3=882&ID_4=886&CLEV=4&TRACKNO=J1506456468 ) but I bought mine off eBay and paid really cheap [;)]

Rifleman1776

My shop is in a double-long one car garage under our hillside house. The outside door is an overhead garage type. I have no way of installing a dust collector without eliminating the overhead door. In nice weather (that's most of the time in Arkansas), I just leave the door open and have a big fan that, hopefully, blows stuff away from me. And, on the lathe is a small fan that blows dust down away from my face. With dusty and/or noxious woods, I wear a Dust Bee Gone face mask. I seem particularly sensitive to aromatic cedar dust. And since I sell blanks from this I do a lot of cutting on the band saw. On that I have installed a shop vac and always wear the face mask.

ilikewood

One of the best deals is the DC from Harbor Freight. I have the 1600cfm unit and you nearly have to hold onto your tools to keep them from being sucked in. I bought it on sale for $150. It is a big unit, but very powerful.

Czarcastic

One of THESE:
DLHOODC.jpg

Connected to One of THESE
45378.gif

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />One of the best deals is the DC from Harbor Freight. I have the 1600cfm unit and you nearly have to hold onto your tools to keep them from being sucked in. I bought it on sale for $150. It is a big unit, but very powerful.

HF DC uses 30 micron bags, They are almost as good as not using bags.

If you are serious about DC you need to use 1 micron bags which will cost you an extra $150.

This would be a better deal http://tinyurl.com/b6fz2 I'm sure there are other deals as good.

GregD

I made my dust collector. I used a 2hp motor 3460 rpm. to that I took a 3" pully and cut notches in and mounted 12"wooden blades. I Inserted the motor shaft through the wall of a wooden box I made just big enough for the fan to fit without rubbing then put the pully on the shaft and tightened the set screw. On the inlet side of the box, I cut a 4" hole centered in the box wall. That is hooked into a 30 gal trash can with one of thoes seperator lids you can get from most woodworking stores(Woodcraft, Rockler). The outlet from the fan box is hooked into a canvas bag with 4"hose. Works GREAT!!! I turn it on out in the shop and You have a hard time opening the front door of the house.

ilikewood

Not to get picky here[:D], but IMHO a "1 micron" bag is probably overkill. Think about it...that is 1/1000 of a millimeter. If this size is for real, it would also sterilize the air as virtually no bacteria would pass through either (as bacterial are about that size too). I work on designing and testing of membrane systems (ultrafiltration, microfiltration, nanofiltration, etc) and this tight of a bag would require a fairly substantial pressure to make it work. Putting this bag on a system not designed for it could cause problems (eg..little or no suck at all) and reduce the amount of dust you are really trying to collect.

Unless you are super sensative to even the littlest bit of dust, save your money. If you are that sensitive, maybe consider a different hobby! [:D]

Czarcastic

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
HF DC uses 30 micron bags, They are almost as good as not using bags.
If you are serious about DC you need to use 1 micron bags which will cost you an extra $150.
This would be a better deal http://tinyurl.com/b6fz2 I'm sure there are other deals as good.
I hate disagreeing with people, but I gotta disagree with you here, Ron. The upgrade to a top-of-the-line bag (&lt;1 micron) is $29.99
Shaker Felt bag from Highland Hardware

Still keeps the DC, with a GOOD dust bag AND the Lathe Hood under $200.

Plus, that PSI unit is 220v. Wich probably means running new lines for some.

JMHO, HTH.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Geez Czar you beat me to it.
Or if yuor shop isn't AC'd (Mine isn't) set your DC up in such a way that the exhaust is vented out side.
If I had to dress up like a space man or in a Haz-mat suit to enjoy something I think I'd do something else.
Your going to die of something, why not saw dust?
(spoken as an alcoholic who smokes like a chimney)[:D]

Dario

Check this aftermarket bag too from Grizzly (through Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DD4B6/qid=1083351170/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-2765740-3714265?v=glance&s=kitchen

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DD4B7/qid=1083351170/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-2765740-3714265?v=glance&s=kitchen

I am planning on buying some myself [:)]

BogBean

I wanted to thank everyone for the help. I was using a shop vac but now I plan on putting in a real DC....Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom