Dust collection - Need help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mpex

My first post. Have done a significant amount of research on this, including a lot of searching and reading on this and other forums. I've read most of Bill Pentz's site. The reason for this post is because pretty much all of the posts I've seen point to much larger wood shops than mine. I'm not sure what I need for effective dust collection. I am primarily concerned about my health. The ideal from everything I've read would be to go with the Clear Vue, but I'm not sure I need to spend all the money and get something so large. I'm guessing that even the 1800 is overkill.

My 'shop'
-Single user
-Open home basement. Full dimensions are probably 30'x40' but I am only using 8'x15'.
-Mostly doing small projects like pens.
Tools:
Delta Midi lathe (primary tool, small projects)
Tabletop drill press

Likely upgrades:
Medium size band saw
Belt sander

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

I bought the Delta 50-760 and have been very happy with it. It has a 1 micron bag which I will someday replace with a cartridge filter from Wynn.

Kretzky

I've been using a Sear's shop vac with std. 2 1/2" hose to good effect, but recently I got (yet to install) a 1hp 570cfm dc with 1 micron bag filter, which should do a better job. I'm planning on 4" ductwork, probably metal (but maybe plastic). currently I have midi lathe, disc/ belt sander & hope to add a small bandsaw. My basement 'shop' is similar in size to yours.
I plan to partially enclose the dc with styrofoam insulation slabs to reduce noise a bit.
btw I found the shop vac excellent for pulling CA fumes away from the working area. The dc should do the same.

Jim Burr

Banned
One the attachment port, bandsaw, combo sander, lathe and so on...shop vac is great...I use a Rigid, doesn't really matter. But I also use a Jet air scrubber...AFS 2000. That one is my workhorse, they also make a smaller one. I always wear a Trend, those that don't take all precautions are paying for my retirement:tongue:. Please don't be fooled!!! Turning generates dust, sanding more dust...walking in your shop generates dust, opening your tool cabinet door generates dust. Kudos on your research, it's needed by all! But this is what I do for a living:wink:

kooster

Also check out the PSI mobile models. They're compact and require minimal space, portable, and very efficient. They have two versions. I'd recommend the higher end (red) one. I own one and it works extremely well for fine dust, odors, and even larger chips.

I use a Rikon dust collector. I simply put 2 flexible hoses on it one of them is permanently attached to my lathe in the table that it sits on. The other is connected higher on the table so I can position it right behind my lathe work. I don't bother to collect on my band saw but I do collect on my sander. This is a very simple setup but it works for me. I am much like you and only use a small area of the basement.

Top Bottom