Durable pencil?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

Howdy all,

I am looking to make a shop pencil--- a click/twist pencil that is .5mm or .7 (I do NOT like that massive 5mm shop pencil lead, it's useless for cabinetry marking).

I have been using a cigar, but it just did not stand up to a beating, the tip seems to have wore out (I guess they all are about as durable there though). I am going to replace it. Is there a tougher-than-most click pencil?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Yeah, I've made two of them, one is in my album. Nice thick leads, sharpener in the plunger. Seemed like a nice kit. You can get them through woodturningz.com too.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I think it was Anthony who took a conventional draftsmans pencil and turned a barrel for it I may be mistaken.
I've been doing the Pwer point for a couple of years.
I got tired of making them like the picture in the catologue.I l;ike a bigger pencil.
This is one(that got away) with a funky burl from broken bit.
I "Eagleyezed" The clip retainer and added a piece of ebony.

20061018221914_Eagaleyzed%20powerpoint%20002.jpg
<br />
Here are two maple power points that a cusromer ordered and paid for on spec.He wanted a "woodworkers pencil"

2006101822220_Maple%20power%20points%20003.jpg
<br />
I like to be able to change the size,The leads are available at any decent office supply store, they are the same as the leads used in lead holders by architects.
A word about the platings.
PSI guarantees their platings and I give mine a lot of abuse They won't stay gold forever, I am gold to PC them in the futurew.
About the tube.
I normally grind down the CB and use it but I also cut an 8" tube to lenght and turn as one piece.

PenWorks

I done some 2mm pencils, they were from Rockler woodworking, took them apart.
Chuckie has done some with another brand that were 2mm and Virgil has done alot of Pentel pencils, I think they are 2mm as well.

20061018232939_rocklerpencil.jpg
<br />
This mechenism is a click advance, Chuckie had one that was a claw which I think is nicer, just personal preference.

redfishsc

Well, the 2mm pencils won't do me a lot of good, I need something that writes a fine line like the .5 or .7 mm.

The durability issue isn't the lead, it's the pencil. I think mrcook is right, I just need to replace the mechanism and get over it[8)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The Power point(2mm) has a sharpener biult in the plunger.
I buy the HArder leads and have found they don't break as easily.I am forever braking the 5"s and use a 7 in other pencil kits.
The 2mm is perfect for "lining out" blanks.
When I want accuracy I use a knife kerf and try to split it with the saw blade[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom