durability of other coatings (Anodized or Powder Coat)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Okay, I'm working on something and I was curious about how durable Powder Coat and Anodized is compared to say Chrome plate?

I know I've seen pens here that were anodized, then turned to add accent rings. So how thick is the anodized layer typically? Does it get scratched easily? What metals can be anodized?

Powder Coat I know is a plastic coating. Does it scratch easily? Is it easy to get an even coat on small parts?

Is there some other type of coating that I'm missing that may be better?

For instance, if we wanted to make a flat black pen from an existing Cigar kit. We could easily powder coat the parts, and assuming the metal allows for anodizing (say this kit is made from Aluminum) that wouldn't be too hard either. What would the results be? Durability wise.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

I think most of the pen kits are brass in the core and plated with whatever finish. I am not really sure what material range powder coating works on but as for things like CA finishes that does not work at all on knives yet it does work on pens, possibly due to size and shape leading to a stronger yield. Trying to say here that you may not want to discredit coatings that does not hold up that well on larger items.

Russianwolf

thanks Ed, I'm not talking about finishes here. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Like I said, If we wanted to take a pen kit and make it flat black and get the most durability out of it, how would we? Assume that the kit is made of a metal that allows for PC or Anodizing.

I know people are PCing brass tubes. So a brass kit should be able to be PCed. how well will it hold up?

I don't know if brass can be anodized, but aluminum can. How well does anodizing hold up? and what metals can be treated this way?

I'll tell you this, if you like the feel of powder coat, it is one of the toughest coatings for anything that can stand the heat. It doesn't necessarily need to be metal, just able to take 400° or so for 20 minutes. The flat black wrinkle coat you see on many Harley Davidson motorcycle engines can be bought at Columbia Coatings. I have had to strip it off a part, and even with a sand blaster, it was difficult and time consuming.

RetiredJake

Anodizing is used to provide a hard wear resistant surface to aluminum. The fact that you can get pretty colors is a bonus. Anodized aluminum is very hard on the surface and will stand up to considerable, normal abuse. The coating is very thin, but very hard.

jd99

Just to add there is different anodizing, and chrome plate also.

There is Hard Anodize, which is usally done for wear surface, and there is Hard Chrome plating same application high wear applications, or building up bearing surfaces, etc.

Hardness - Hardcoat type III anodize has Rockwell Hardness of C65-C70, nearly as tough as diamond.

Hard Chrome plate hardness is Rc 65-68,

Just in case you wanted to know. :wink:

PTsideshow

Like any finishes both anodizing and powdercoating are dependent on the surface preperation of the items being coated. Since I'm on the tablet with out my bookmarks.
It will have to wait till later or tomrrow.
The colored sockets and wrenches @ HF are not anodized on the chrome molly steel, it is tinted transpernt laquer with a top clear coat. it does wear,scratch off. There is a yahoo powder coating group that the guy that wrote the powder coating book that is sold everwhere was running or part of.
Eastwood's forum site is a good place to find info on powder coating. It may be car parts, but they will get more abuse then most pens. They also have a tinted rattle can paint that is transperant for brake calipers. most big box auto parts carry a version.
:clown:

PTsideshow

Anodizing Aluminum best site for no BS on what it is and what it does. his new book looks good and he does sell the materials.
Eastwood - Auto Body Repair Tools | MIG Welder | TIG Welder | Plasma Cutter | Auto Body Supplies & Accessories Powder coating supplies, in clears,opaques,chromes and metallic's. Along with other trick paints for calipers and such along with a pretty good forum for info. Even if you don't like eastwood. There is not many better places for info on the materials.
Sculpt Nouveau - Patinas and Metal Finishes Ron is the man when it comes to patina's and metal finishes and has a wide range of great products.
Electroplating & Anodizing - Caswell Inc Another site that has a great forum and all most biblical in proportion, the knowledge on this site. In addition they have brass blacking chemicals, paint and other interesting stuff!
Color plating of chrome vanadium sockets - what is THAT process! This is the total site for the finishing industry, world wide. They also have a hobbyist/artist section it is old school bulletin board style.
The link will take you to a thread on the transparent sockets and my testing. Along with Ted's answer to what type of finish it is. This guy has forgotten more about finishes and finishing then most will ever know!
International Supplier of Faux Finishes, Venetian Plasters, Colorants, Metallic Paints... If you want mica and metallic powders in large quantities here is one place.

The options are really unlimited. Depends on how deep you want to get in to the area of coatings and metal finishes along with faux finishes.
:clown:

Top Bottom