durability of copper plating/epoxied

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I ordered a copper cigar from Woodturningz with a recent order. Is this plating around the same durability (or lack thereof) of the 24K epoxied plating? Just wanted to know in case I get a cabinet maker buying it or someone else like me that is pure-t-hell on a pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Matt,

Ernie at beartoothwoods.com who worked with Berea to develop the copper plating sells inexpensive felt sleeves to keep pens in. Those who shove pens in their pockets with keys, change, an the like simply have to expect damage to the pen. Consider buying some of the sleeves to keep the pen in between uses.

FWIW,

Firefyter-emt

Well, I gotta tell you, I buy about 90% from Woodturningz and they are a great bunch of guys so this does not reflect on them in anyway. I bought a PSI Euro kit in copper, then I put it on a very nice snakewood blank. Now I carry my daily pen in my shirt pocket and while I use it all day, it is not abused and kicked around. After 2 weeks I had enough nicks that I was not pleased with the look. The biggest problem is that the copper darkens when it chips and is very noticable. I was able to save the blank and I ordered a Rhodium to replace the hardware. You may have great luck, it may last forever... This is just my one experiance with the kit. A sleeve may very well keep it long lasting, but I would find that rather anoying.

redfishsc

Thanks all. I'll consider it a premium "use care" type item rather than a ruff-n-tumble like Ti.

BTW, just an opinion poll, what woods do you like with the copper? Looks like woods that are black or nearly so (like wenge or blackwood) would look better, as would lighter woods like holly and curly maple. Do you find this to be the case?

Matt

Rudy Vey

I had asked the same question several months ago. From my job I know that copper will easily tarnish without any protection. So, only a good clear coating (epoxy or acrylic powder) over the copper will protect it. When this coating is somehow destroyed, the copper will very fast tarnish. Thats why I stayed away from the copper coatings.

redfishsc

Alamo, saw that pen, looks sweet!

I'm probably going to carry that pen but it will come with a caution to use it with care. It's just too pretty to not offer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom