duplicators

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

Need some help guy's:
In the PSI catolog on page 57 in the lower right corner there is a lathe dulpiator listd for $104.??.
I have the HF 34706 lathe and it has done me well.
I have a very bad back and can not stand or sit infront of the machine for extended periods. My grandSon was over and asked it that duplicator would be easier for me as we can take it off any time and reinstall it. So has any of you used one or know anyone who has one? I hope I have made myself clear on this. Thanks--will be looking in. Mikem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Mike:

1. Several people have reported on that duplicator, and the quality is questionable.

2. The cutter in a duplicator will never equal what you can do with a skew, gouge, and other normal turning tools.

3. You are limited to the shapes you have patterns for.

4. You still have to stand or sit in front of the lathe, and move the lever/carriage from side to side. It is not really automatic.

What I have found is that the HEIGHT of the lathe makes a huge difference, especially with small lathes. I raised mine about 4" and now I can turn a lot longer. If you have to bend your back the lathe is too low. Besides, I can see what I am doing more clearly.

Hope this helps.

GregD

Mike,
I have Parkinson's Disease and as you can imagine standing for a long period is a problem. I have my lathe on an adjustable table I build so that I can adjust the hight of the lathe for sitting or standing. I used a sewing machine lift and drift pin as the adjuster. I haven't see much in the way of adjustable tables or stands. That's why I built mine.
As for the duplicator, I haven't tried one. At this point I see no need for one.

Randy_

Originally posted by GregD<br />...I have my lathe on an adjustable table...used a sewing machine lift and drift pin...

Don't know what a sewing machine lift is; but it sounds like a good idea!! I, too, would like to see a picture. I started turning on a toy lathe(known as the Jet Pen Lathe) and could use it seated at a table because it was so small. Now that I have the Jet mini, I have to stand or use a tall stool which is not ideal. Working small projects like pens and stoppers is very convenient and comfortable to do from a seated position so I have been contemplating some sort of stand to lower the lathe. I imagine that larger projects like bowls probably need to be done standing; but since I don't do that type of thing, it is not a concern.

woodbutcher

Jet sells an adjustable lathe stand for about $150.00 It is adjustable up and down and also has an extension available if you decide on a bed extension for spindle work. It will also accept the Delta Midi with no problem. I put wheels on mine to make it more portable in the shop. It also travels well.

Jim [8D]

Randy_

I've seen those and they are nice!! Unfortunately, floor space is at a premium in my shop......about half of a stall in our 2 car garage that my better half permits me to use to fritter away a few free minutes every now and then so I'd like to put it on an existing stand or bench rather than adding another unit.......but thanks!!

MikeM

I waited a few days to see how many reply's i got to my question and i thank all who did.
i am still having some thoughts on the PSI dupl. and looks like I may just pass it up.
I just can't justify the cost of the Vega, so that is out.
MikeM

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Mike--WoodWrite LTD started in business by developing a lathe for people with disabilities. If you call Jack or Phil at 1-888-966-3974 they may have some valuable tips for you to incorporate into using your lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom