Duplicator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake Byrd

Kernersville(Near Winston Salem), North Carolina,
Hi Guys,

I know almost all of us here turn freehand, but someone must use a duplicator. I was wondering if they really speed up your production. I am at a point now, where I would actually like to make money from pens and other turned stuff to help support another hobby. Any information you guys could give me on duplicators(or ways to speed up the hand turning process with out sacraficing quality) would be great!

Thanks,
Jake Byrd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

Hi,

Since you have to go thru all the sanding and finishing anyway, you won't save more then a minute or two a pen. The only model i would find it usefull would be the 7mm euro, where you have to turn a tenon, that is a little more time consuming because you have to leave some wood on the tube and be more precise. For the rest, you will just loose the joy of turning.
Of course, this is my my opinion and someone else could love using it.

Alfred

Skye

I know what you're saying about production, but I stand by the simple fact: Duplicators are of the devil.

btboone

If the idea is to make more profit, maybe making them faster isn't the entire answer. Check into making something different; some sort of niche market and go for higher pricing. Laser engraving is an example of something that costs just a few bucks per pen that can add significant perceived value. Higher end kits with better finished wood also brings in more per pen. Getting creative with casting or inlays are other avenues to persue. Anyone can make a cheaper pen; you can buy complete wood ones that look nice from China for $2 each. The trick is to not try to compete with that. I just had someone want an order of 200 pens. Unfortunately, he wanted them for around $80 in a braided look in titanium, which is below the cost of what I can make fancy ones like that for. I offered some standard metal ones that I can buy with laser engraving for $55, but they will have significantly less work and more profit than the ones I can make myself. If the bottom line is more profit, sometimes the way to get there is not producing more.

Skye

Originally posted by btbooneI just had someone want an order of 200 pens. Unfortunately, he wanted them for around $80 in a braided look in titanium, which is below the cost of what I can make fancy ones like that for.

Rings you mean?

Rifleman1776

There is a couple (married type people) in the state here that travels to many shows with pens. Their business is selling pens and doing laser engraving. But the pens are first. They sell a lot of pens and most on display do not show any of the creativity we see on these forums. While nice pens, they are what we would call 'B to B'. Stock items that sell well. It is obvious from looking at the consistency and quantity that they use duplicator lathes. Their finishes are not knock-outs like we see here but nice. So obviously they have a system that works for them and works fast. In production, there is a place for duplicators.

alamocdc

As much as I like to sell my work, I just can't make the sacrifice to go with a duplicator. If the primary goal is simply production, then by all means go for it. My primary goal is the production of individual custom pens and I go to as many lengths as possible to create just that. Granted maybe not as custom as most of Eagle's pens, but more so than you'll see in the catalogs.

As far as speeding things up, I'll stand with Stan... practice, practice, practice.[;)]

Skye

Originally posted by alamocdc
Granted maybe not as custom as most of Eagle's pens, but more so than you'll see in the catalogs.

Heh, I prefer to keep my sanity.... and fingertips. I leave that stuff up to the pros.

bjackman

Ok, I've gotta chime in on this one. Seriously, how long does it really take you to TURN the pen?? Average wood blanks? maybe a minute two tops. Not even enough time to get a duplicator set up. For me the time is spent after I put the skewchigougeparting tool down and start sanding and finishing.
At best even the best setup duplicator is only going to save you a few seconds of turning time, but since the quality of cut will be in question you'll probably spend much more than that sanding to overcome the poorly cutting (meaning scraping) tool insert on the duplicator.
The main utility I would forsee for a duplicator would be to truly "duplicate" shapes for matching spindles, ie. 3 spindles on an hourglass to look exactly the same.

gerryr

I agree with Bill. Actual turning time is not very much. I sometimes spend more time drilling the blanks than turning them and I always spend way more time finishing than turning. Sometimes it takes as long to assemble the pen as it did to turn the blanks. What I need is an automatic finishing machine: turn the blank, toss it in the hopper and 2 minutes later out comes a perfectly finished glass smooth blank.[:D] Sort of like the automatic chinchilla machine they advertised on SNL 20+ years ago.

Jake Byrd

Kernersville(Near Winston Salem), North Carolina,
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I believe you have helped my decision to stay away from a duplicator for a while. My issue now is-I am a high school student, and I cant get a regular job, so I have a limited amount of resourses to buy kits, lets say $150. Based on what you guys sell the most, what kits would you order?(no, I am not a begining turner, just a (pretty much)begining pen salesmen, so I dont really know what sells)

Thanks-Jake

mrcook4570

With a $150 limit, I would probably stick with slimlines, cigars, and maybe chrome sierras. Those are fairly safe and sellable to a larger audience, thereby increasing your chances of gettin a return on your investment. However, I would invest any profits into more inventory. Once you have a larger cash base to work with, then start experimenting with various styles until you find what works best for you. It will take a while before you actually realize a profit.

I am almost two years into actively selling pens and have no profits so far. But I have a acquired a 1000 sq ft workshop loaded with tools, everything necessary to put up a good display at a show, a decent stock of kits and a huge wood pile [:D]

alamocdc

My best sellers are still slimlines (even though I prefer to make higher end pens) and Sierras so Stan has some good advice. I'm only now starting to sell more cigars and Baron and Jr Gent styled rollers, but it really depends on what your customer base likes and that takes experimentation. Based on the budget you mentioned, I would only get into chrome Barons, if you wish to try the roler route.

its_virgil

Use a duplicator? And let the duplicator have all of the fun?[:D]

I think you have your answer...at least for now. [;)]

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Jake Byrd
<br />Hi Guys,

I know almost all of us here turn freehand, but someone must use a duplicator. I was wondering if they really speed up your production. I am at a point now, where I would actually like to make money from pens and other turned stuff to help support another hobby. Any information you guys could give me on duplicators(or ways to speed up the hand turning process with out sacraficing quality) would be great!

Thanks,
Jake Byrd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom