Duplicating A Turned Blank - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Duplicating A Turned Blank

So what's the best way to precisely duplicate a blank that has already been turned? Is it just a matter of measuring and frequent use of calipers? Or is there a secret way to easily duplicate a profile?

I am wanting to be exact; close enough is not close enough.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 75

There are duplicating lathes (or duplicating attachments for lathes). . Here is a video that may be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzKazf-vUY

If you have enough volume to justify the expense of a CNC lathe, that could be a more attractive (and more expensive) way to go.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 227

Do you need machine precision, like CNC or could you use one of these to copy the profile and then cut a template?
https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.c...xoCsToQAvD_BwE
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Can you tell us what it is you are wanting to duplicate? That might help with some answers to your questions. Note that most duplicating rigs use a fixed cutter which basically scrapes your turning to shape. This most likely will require more sanding to get the turning where you want it.

Last edited by Charlie_W; 02-04-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Charlie_W is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

"Exact" is a very high goal, especially on an item only a few inches long and relatively little variation in diameter.

You could by trial and error develop a thin cardboard negative pattern that closely matches the existing profile, then use that to evaluate work in progress. But the cardboard will be subject to bending and wear over time. A longer lasting negative pattern would be to trace the cardboard onto a thin piece of metal, perhaps an old saw blade or a woodworking scraper blade, and file till it matches the existing pattern. But I would NOT suggest using this thin metal pattern to shape a blank turning on the lathe - that could be quite dangerous.
donstephan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 84

Is this a one of or multiple?? If one of just use calipers. Who is actually going to know for sure. What kind of profile are you talking about??
Old 02-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

"There are duplicating lathes (or duplicating attachments for lathes). . Here is a video that may be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzKazf-vUY

If you have enough volume to justify the expense of a CNC lathe, that could be a more attractive (and more expensive) way to go."

Interesting but too complicated and expensive for my project.

"Do you need machine precision, like CNC or could you use one of these to copy the profile and then cut a template?
https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.c...xoCsToQAvD_BwE"

This is a good idea. I already have something similar to this. I may give that a try.

"Can you tell us what it is you are wanting to duplicate? That might help with some answers to your questions. Note that most duplicating rigs use a fixed cutter which basically scrapes your turning to shape. This most likely will require more sanding to get the turning where you want it."

Handles for measuring spoons. Each set requires one original and four duplicates.

"'Exact' is a very high goal, especially on an item only a few inches long and relatively little variation in diameter.

You could by trial and error develop a thin cardboard negative pattern that closely matches the existing profile, then use that to evaluate work in progress. But the cardboard will be subject to bending and wear over time. A longer lasting negative pattern would be to trace the cardboard onto a thin piece of metal, perhaps an old saw blade or a woodworking scraper blade, and file till it matches the existing pattern. But I would NOT suggest using this thin metal pattern to shape a blank turning on the lathe - that could be quite dangerous."

I have in the past used x-ray film for this. It is easy to cut, maintains its edge and is sturdy enough that it does not wear after being used many times. It works well but is tedious and very difficult to get a precise profile.

"Is this a one of or multiple?? If one of just use calipers. Who is actually going to know for sure. What kind of profile are you talking about?? "

One original and four duplicates. Being the unrepentant perfectionist that I am, I will know for sure. I have not yet turned the first one so I don't have a profile yet. Wanted to read these answers before I cut the furst one. Whatever method I use for duplication will have a bearing on how simple or complicated the profile turns out to be.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out (pun intended).
Old 02-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 84

Remember you are making hand made items and not mass producing using robots or CNC machines. You need to sell your product on those basic ideas. There are usually flaws in hand made because we are human.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Remember you are making hand made items and not mass producing using robots or CNC machines. You need to sell your product on those basic ideas. There are usually flaws in hand made because we are human.
I guess I am very human.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

As you noted, tedious and time consuming to make a profile to match a turned item. So draw out the profile first, glue to xray film or whatever and cut out, the turn all 5 to the profile.
donstephan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads