Dumbass award

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

Thought I would start everyone's days off with a big laugh…visualization on your part will help

Last night, I was cleaning up the shop and decided to switch the gunked up tip on my BIG bottle of CA glue that I got from Mannie (Monty on IAP) to a new one. No problem…so I grab the bottle of CA which was ¾ full, take off the tip and set it on the side of the work bench. I reach across the bench and get the new tip. In the process, I knocked over the bottle of CA which promptly rolls off the bench and onto the floor. I have never seen a bottle spin like a top so fast in my life! Glue is flying everywhere! Using amazing speed and agility, I grabbed a towel in my right hand and reached down and grabbed the bottle in my left hand. I sure didn't want to lose all the glue on the floor as it spilled all over the place. Up goes the bottle and down goes the rag. I managed to only lose about ¼ of the glue and got the rag on that mess in no time flat. Wow, am I good!
Just about that same time, my girlfriend pulls into the driveway as we were getting ready to head out to dinner in a bit.
Guess what I was still holding in my left hand….yep, the bottle that was covered in CA from spinning all over the place. When they say it is fast drying, they aren't joking. All of this took place in a matter of about 20 seconds. Let me tell you, that glue was already cured.
By now I have realized that it was not exactly the smartest thing to grab that bottle with my bare hand. Even less smart is the fact that I am left handed (refer back to where I grabbed it with my left hand).
When my girlfriend realized what had happened, she started laughing so hard she ended up on the floor, except she was smart enough to avoid the spilled glue.
We never made it to dinner. I spent the majority of the night prying my hand loose from the bottle. My girlfriend is still laughing. Her title of GF is in serious jeopardy. My title of dumbass is safe and sound.

Hey Mannie, how fast can you ship me a bottle of de-bonder?

Cheers everyone….
Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Been there, done that, bought the Tee shirt...then stepped in the puddle, won't tell you what Diane said when I walked into the house from the shop on her hardwood floors.....

bobleibo

Hey Roy, the part in your signature that says "BTW----you still can't fix stupid" is absolutely correct.....I can validate that.

Cheers
Bob

Last edited:

HSTurning

Acetone will take care of it. Your hand will will be very dry when done. Glad it was you and not me, but I would trade with you if you want to come finish the floor that i have been working on for 2 weeks. No I'm not that slow only been working 2 days. Its been raining just about everyday since I started and the tools go on the back porch. Power tools and rain dont work out to well.

MarkHix

Glad it was just your hand! There is a thread somewhere on here about the other body parts we have glued together. My wife thinks it is the funniest thing when she catches me "ungluing" myself from something.
Lesson # 1 for the CA finish: the debonder must be within an arm's length of the lathe to be of any use.

Thanks for the morning smile.

snyiper

Manny if you make a holster that holds ca debonder you can make a mint!!! Put on apron, strap on debonder, put on safety glasses make pens!!!!!

Scollins

I closed my eyes and pictured all of this happening and actually started laughing. I think we've all done something like this at some point.
Thanks for the day brightener, what a hoot!

Oldwagon

I glued my thumb and first 2 fingers on both hands trying to repair a crack in a blank.Lucky for me I had a new bottle of debonder on the bench.Normally I wear gloves.Got a new box of those to.I am glad I do this when the wife is at work.She already thinks I am crazy.The glue would only add to it. Glad to know I am not the only one. Todd

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Back in the day, (as my son would say) it was not called CA or even Super Glue. In dental school it was known as Eastman 910 Adhesive. It had some limited uses in our lab procedures. One day a classmate cracked an important small piece of a stone crown model. He used the Eastman's and held the two pieces firmly together. (The instant bond to skin was not widely known at that time either.) When he released the repaired model, he was locked into the thumb and forefinger "A-OK" gesture. :embarrassed: He declined my kind efforts at assistance, :rolleyes: and checked out a disposable scapel to separate the fingers himself. He showed up a few minutes later with bandaids on both the thumb and the forefinger!

So, Bob, rest assured that you are neither the first nor the last to win this particular dumbass award! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

bobleibo

LOL

Next time, can you video it and put it on youtube? :biggrin:

for all of you folks who claim "no pic means it didn't happen", I only have one question....

HOW I AM I SUPPOSED TO HOLD THE CAMERA? MY HANDS WERE A LITTLE "TIED UP" AT THE TIME !!!!

If my GF wasn't laughing so hard, she may have been willing to take the pics, but.....

Cheers
Bob

Top Bottom