Dumb question - longest blank requirement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

OK, I know this is probably a dumb question, but what pen kit requires the longest blank (including cap and barrel pieces), and how long is that blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjackman

I think I would still stick with the Panache, the main body brass tube is about the longest I've worked with.
CSU says you need a 6 inch blank for the kit, I don't doubt it. You can trim off quite a bit and still fit a FP nib/section in there with a converter.

mrcook4570

The longest that I have is the mini european. Both tubes combined measure 4.61" which is slightly longer than the standard euro which is just slightly longer than the gent/statesman. I have no experience with the Panache, so it may be longer.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jim - anticipating the "question behind the question", I have yet to run into any pen that required more than a 5" long blank...including the Panache. That assumes that you start off with a square blank and that your cut separating the blank into upper and lower barrel is done with a thin kerf blade...like a bandsaw blade. Many kits can be made with a 4-1/2" blank, including the Baron, Jr. Gent and Jr. Statesman. [8D]

JimGo

Thanks Lou, you nailed my question. I have a few boards that are about 4.5" in width, and I was trying to figure out whether I could just cut those cross-grain and get more blanks, or if I should stick with cutting 5-6" blanks that go with the grain.

Dario

Interesting.

A lot of times I am caught in the same dilemma...want to maximize blanks that I can get from a board but customers usually ask or <b>expect</b> 5.5" or longer so I keep on making those.

JimGo

Yeah, I was thinking that too Dario, except that in this case, I am my own customer! In most cases, I try to keep the boards a single piece, and then cut what I need, but I still get tempted just to cut them into blanks all at once, thereby minimizing the time I waste cutting.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jim - Here's a little trick Russ taught me awhile back. You're starting right by buying boards instead of blanks. Next, using some 1/8" plexi, cut a 3/4" x 5" template. (You can make different sized templates if you want.) Move the template around in the board to get a feel for where the most beautiful blanks can be found. Worry less about maximizing your number of blanks and more about maximizing each blank's beauty. You'll forget about the scrap, but the beauty in the pen will live on for a long time.

Dario

Excellent tip Lou. Thanks!

Honestly I do that mentally though...but lot of times, business mode kicks in and I go for qty. [B)]

alamocdc

Jim, the non-posting "standard" RBs and FPs by PSI and CSUSA require a 5 1/2" blank. Just in case you don't know the pen I speak of, it's this one.

20064212252_10kRB_verawood.jpg
<br />

200642122535_10kRB_smoky_ribbon_acrylic.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom