Dumb Gluing Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shastastan

I'm not a new pen turner. I just received my Sierra pencil kit from Berea Hardwoods. Their general instructions say to plug the ends of the tube before gluing to the blank. I've never done this in the past although I have gotten a little glue inside the brass tube a few times and had to file it out as is shown in The Exotic Hardwoods video (in Library). I use thick CA glue and an insertion tool to put the tubes with glue into the blank. I'm not sure how I arrived at the way I do it, but I haven't had any major problems so far.

I guess my question is, "Should I always plug the tubes to keep the glue out?"

Thanks for any comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

I can tell you that I sure don't. I apply the glue to the tube (as I think everybody does) and then insert with a twist. Sometimes the excess gets into the tail end of the tube a bit, but I wait until it's dry, and then break it free with the point of my skew. It usually comes off in one big flake. If I used an insertion tool, I imagine it would plug the tail end and I wouldn't have any problems at all.

If there is a gap at the leading end between the tube and blank, I fill it with a little thin CA. If I get any in the tube, same procedure. No problems so far.

toddlajoie

I only plug the end that goes in first, as that is the end that gets filled. I use 2 part epoxy and can say from experience that if it gets inside the tube, it really doesn't want to come out and generally will not "chip" out. It can make getting the TBC bushings in nearly impossible if you don't get it all out.

I did not have the same issue when using CA or Gorilla glue, as they did not adhere to the brass as well, but that (not sticking as well), in the end, was a bigger problem than plugging the tubes...

I will also say that as innocent as "playdo" seems, it will make your nice pretty pen mill shafts rather nasty, so if you use it, after you square up your blanks, clean it off of your mill shafts and wipe them down with acetone or something afterwards....

Last edited:

mjsix1

I don't plug my tubes when I use medium CA to glue in the tube. However, I recently started making Celtic Knot blanks, and for the extra strenght, I use epoxy to glue in the tubes. I paint the inside of the blank (hoping the epoxy will get into any voids that may be at the center of the blank), plug the tube by pressing it into flattened play-doh (yeah, I have grandkids), paint the tube and then insert into the blank. Epoxy oozes everywhere, but the play-doh keeps it out of the blank. Once set, I use an exacto knife with a # 11 blade to remove the plugs and any epoxy around the edges.

Depends, but I normally plug. I use epoxy rather than CA and because of that, it's harder to clear the excess out of the tube. So I got some modeling clay at a craft store. I roll it out to about 1/8"-3/16" thick and stick the ends of the tube in. Sometimes it needs a slight twist, normally not.

I find that the sooner I remove the plug, the better. I pry one out and then push the other end out with a dowel. If I push both I get epoxy on the inside, which defeats the purpose.

Carl Fisher

Dental wax here. Takes no time at all and knocks out cleanly. I'd rather that than the time to file/sand/pry/chip epoxy out of the inside of a tube for the occasional occurance.

shastastan

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I use an insertion tool, it will be just one end that gets plugged. I like Charlie's suggestion since it looks fast and easy to me. I also like the idea of removing the plug with a dental tool. I have a few of those, courtesy of my dentist, which I have used in wood carving, but will also be useful to remove wax. Great advice from all of you. Most appreciated!!!

Arizona Silhoutte has the wax for 50 cents a sheet.

Base Plate Wax: Arizona Silhouette

sbwertz

I have the harbor freight 115 piece drill bit set. I pick out the bit that just fits the inside of a tube and spin it a couple of times with my fingers to clean out anything on the inside of the tube.

shastastan

I have the harbor freight 115 piece drill bit set. I pick out the bit that just fits the inside of a tube and spin it a couple of times with my fingers to clean out anything on the inside of the tube.

That sounds like any easy way to do it, Sharon. I glued a tube in today, using PSI pen CA glue. Not sure what the tube size is, but I used a 27/64th drill bit. It was in a set of brad point bits that I bought from Rockler. After gluing, I held the tube up to the light and there was nary a trace of glue inside the tube. Maybe I might have not been so lucky with a 7mm size with a longer tube though.

Top Bottom