Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

So I bought an inlay blank for a gift for a soldiers promotion to E7. Got all excited and wanting to get started so I had the tube all lined up, rubber bands on the pieces and ready to CA the inlay pieces in place. So I did - dribbled thin CA all over them, let it soak in and dry, did it two more times. Man I'm excited! As I was trimming the ends to turn it I remembered I forgot to glue the tube in! :redface: Now I have an inlay blank glued to the tube only where the thin CA ran through the inlay pieces! There is enough glue that the tube won't come out without ruining the blank!:eek:
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!

I guess my only option is to turn carefully and hope I don't have a blow out!
Any body have any good ideas?
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jack Parker

You will probably be fine, there is quite a bit of glue that gets "through the seams" on most of the ones that I have done. Like you said, go easy with it and maybe stop when you get the rubber bands turned off and see if it needs a little more thin CA drizzled on it.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

the problem Jack, is that the tube was inside when I glued the inlay pieces - so glued ran through the pieces and stuck the tube to the blank!!It is stuck good enough that it wont come out - hope it wont come lose when I'm turning it!

Mr Vic

Keith - After trimming the blanks to the tubes. drizzle thin on the ends. It should wick in-between the blank and tube enough to hold. I used this method when it looks like a gap between the tube and blank. The turn with light cuts.

Keith,

If I am understanding your post correctly, you should be able to wick a bunch of thin CA down in through the ends where the tube is exposed.

magpens

As others have said, you should be OK (putting more CA on the ends). . I do what you did intentionally and routinely. . Biggest question is whether the brass tube is centered where you want it inside the inlay blank.

Turn slowly and with very sharp tool.

Charlie_W

Should you want to detube the blank, heat a close fitting knockout rod in an oven or with a torch, insert and roll the blank. The glue should soften allowing you to slide the tube out. Carefully redrill, clean the tube and go at it.

Good luck whichever route you choose.

keithbyrd

Thanks for the insights guys!
The tubes fit pretty snug but I did drizzle some CA on the ends - I will find out tomorrow if it holds!!

Don Rabchenuk

You should be fine with light cuts. I have done 5 exactly as you have done with no problems. Remember light cuts or as was said above use sand paper as these blanks are easily sanded to their final size.

Loucurr

If you used thin CA you will be fine. When I do the laser inlays I never glue the blank in before using the CA on the inlay. Enough glue gets around the tube to hold it in place. In fact that is how one of the sellers directions show you how to do it.

keithbyrd

Success! After soaking the ends with thin CA - I turned as I normally would - sharp skew at 3500 RPM and took light cuts and it came out great! will post a pic in SOYP - thanks for the insights!

eharri446

I bought a couple of those kits and the instructions with them were to insert the tube, then drizzle thin CA along the seams of the inlay. That way the tube was glued in at the same time that the pieces of the inlay were glued together.

So based on the instructions with the two that I bought, you did exactly what you should have done.

Top Bottom