"Duh" moment confession

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kunk35

I've only been turning things on the lathe for less than a year. I've only been doing pens for just a couple months. I've only been turning acrylics for 1/2 that time.

So, a couple weeks ago I had what I can only describe as a major allergy attack. Runny nose, coughing, itchy eyes, the whole gambit. The problem was, I have never in my 46 years been allergic to anything really. I can mow the yard in the Texas dusty environment and not get a sniffle. The fact that I had this attack made me wonder if everyone was right when they say that allergies can come on out of nowhere. It has been really dry and dusty the last month or so, and I did just get my lawn mowed.

After about 4 days after the initial allergy incident, things were almost back to normal. Went out last Friday and made a couple more American flag pens. Saturday my symptoms were back with a vengeance. By Sunday night, I actually thought I might have to go to the ER, a place I have NEVER, EVER, been in my entire life. Monday morning I beat it into the clinic thinking I had contracted pneumonia. (I hadn't) Xray's didn't show anything bad.

I know what you are thinking. Because NOW I am too.

The purpose of my post is to explain to the new pen turners to WEAR A DUST MASK. Now, by Sunday night I was starting to suspect that maybe, JUST MAYBE there was a connection between my projects and my breathing issues. That was completely confirmed tonight after working on just ONE PEN. And I even use water when I'm sanding. There is definitely a connection. My lungs do not get along well with small particles of acrylic. They do not like them and the message is now all too clear.

As stupid as some of you probably think I am, I can now honestly say I'm not as stupid as I was before about an hour ago after coming to the realizations that I have now come to.

And that is my "DUH" moment. I hope some new pen turners can secretly learn from my experience, so you won't have to admit it openly on a pen turner's forum....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Yes ... a dust mask is just a great idea when sanding anything on the lathe.

Some types of wood can cause isses too. For example, if you are turning some Camphor, which is related to the Cinnamon family ... getting that in your mouth can cause a mild burning sensation, but if you get it in your eyes? OUCH.

Personal protective equipment may make you uncomfortable, but it's there to protect YOU. Eye protection, facemask to protect your good looks, and a dust mask to protect your lungs .... don't forget a shop apron or smock to protect your clothing from little bits of whatever is coming off your lathe.

Your wife won't forgive or forget very fast when she's got tiny little splinters sticking out of her once-favorite sweater just because you came in from the shop to help her put away the groceries and gave her a quick hug ....

jsolie

Be careful now if turning cocobolo. I rarely turn it anymore, but if I do turn it or any woods like it (bocote, chechen, just about any rosewood), breathing protection is mandatory. And afterwards, it's immediately time to shower and get a fresh set of clothes. I do turn with my dust collector going with the vent right behind the lathe. I regularly watch shavings and sanding dust float up into it.

WriteON

Trend Air Pro or something that is for real. A good quality dust collection and filtering system is mandatory. And it's cheaper than a hospital or funeral.

Kunk35

To be honest, I just didn't think that little bit of dust from cutting acrylic could effect me so much and so quickly. Luckily this time I can say live and learn.

I have a feeling this is a cumulative effect. Similar to what can happen if you are exposed to epoxy resins over a period of time. Now that I recognize the connections to my symptoms, I also realize that it started small and got worse over time.

Kunk35

It's just me now. We shipped Ryan off 2 weeks ago to the U.S. Navy. If I would have got into this sooner I would have loved to go, but it's not in the cards this year.

Kunk35

More issues

What do you guys and gals do for dust protection when making pens?

Last night I worked on an acrylic blank. I thought I was being careful. I wore my mask the whole time but still ended up with another nasty attack. It seems like each reaction gets a little bit worse.

The only think I can think that happened is, maybe enough got on my clothes that when I took the mask off I got enough of the dust breathed in that it set it off again. The mask I'm using is one of the better ones with the two straps and the exhaust valve. It seemed to have been working when I used that type over the last week since the first episodes occurred. Now I guess I'm going to go with the bulkier full blown chemical respirator and maybe put on a tyvek suit and blow it off before I take it off when I'm done.

I really need to figure this out. I don't want to quit this hobby. I like it too much.

Kory

Fish30114

Brother this is a good reminder for any of us who turn on a lathe--or do other woodworking and such. I can strongly recommend this respirator/facemask combo--http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POIWAC?refRID=CCM3AT5N5P1TV18KJQCB&ref_=pd_ys_sf_s_rp_a1_8_p I have sleep apnea and can NOT wear a CPAP mask, so I really notice if I whiff up any sawdust from wood or acrylic--this mask brings that to a halt. I also like that you are by default wearing a face shield when you strap this one on--I was watching my idol Nick Cook-a professional woodturner, turn a pepper mill and he was aggressive with his first roughing cut on the blank--and wham, it took off from the lathe and whacked him in the face, cutting him a good little bit--I'm sure he had a hell of a bruise too--just think of somebody whacking you in the face with a 3x3x12 piece of maple so hard it opened up a cut on your face--OUCH!!

At any rate I can definitely say this is a good respirator/mask combo, I picked the P-100 filters to use on it, and they protect me very well from what I can tell from experience. You can actually wear a pair of glasses under this mask, and it doesn't detract from the seal--at least not on my round, bearded face :rolleyes: It may seem a little pricey, but if you think about what you are protecting it really isn't!

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Kory - It may not be just the dust. Some of the commercial plastic pen blanks will give off fumes when you turn them. An organic vapor mask may be a viable solution along with insuring a good exchange of fresh air in the shop (to vent the fumes).

You could try different plastics or switch to wood.

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
For new turners. You can have a reaction to CA glue. Some people are immediately susceptible to the fumes and others can become sensitive to it over time. Sometimes in not much time either.

1080Wayne

I think you need several things . First , a dedicated dust collection system with a 1 micron filter hooked up to a dust collection housing made to Curtis Seebeck`s design (probably in the library somewhere) . Second , probably the Trend unit . Third , the ability to dispose of collected dust /blow off clothes , work pieces etc outside of your workplace . Fourth , maybe washing of clothes after working . Fifth , an understanding of which `acrylic` is giving you the problem . I think you use the term `acrylic`to cover all of the plastics you have turned . Maybe they were all acrylics , maybe none of them were . The collective experience on this forum seems to be that plastics in general are less prone to causing allergic reactions than some woods . If you remember the suppliers of the plastics you have turned , it may be possible to determine which ones are causing you trouble . It is unlikely that all would , as a wide range of monomers , solvents , plasticizers and additives to modify properties are used .

CaptainJane

sounds familiar

Hello, the almost pneumonia sounds quite familiar to me.

A few years before I started penmaking, I found I was extremely sensitive to CA fumes. Now, I wear a respirator - less than $60 - and have had no problems.

If you are using CA, look up CA glue senstivity. To me, I am imagining (in my humid Galveston environment), the CA fumes trying to solidify in my lungs. No wonder the lungs fight back by filling with fluid and gunk.

hornet406

I have the same exact problem. I am not allergic to anything.... well apparently except turning acrylic and finishing CA. Always where a mask now.

Kunk35

You know, the more I think about this, the more the light bulb is getting brighter. 1080Wayne mentioned some things that is hitting the switch. He's right in that I've been using the same blanks since I started this, making American Flag pens. I've been doing that for about 2 months now with no problems. Then I ordered some Texas Flag blanks. I noticed right away that they worked differently on the lathe than the other "acrylic" that I had been using. Obviously a different formulation. I'm wondering now if they are completely causing my problem. I say that, because in thinking back, I had no symptoms until I started cutting and trimming those blanks. Last weekend, using my new masks, I made a couple American flag pens with no attacks. But then yesterday I made another Texas pen, and last night the symptoms came back with a vengeance. I think #1 the masks are insufficient and #2 Something in the Texas blanks does not play well with my system. I think I'll send a quick email to PSI and see if they can tell me what exactly is in those blanks. Seeing they come from Taiwan, I'm pretty sure they won't have that information. I'm also thinking I need to locate a different source for Texas flag blanks....

TurtleTom

What were you turning that gave the allergic reaction? If you don't know turn them one by one for a short length of time with a long wait spell to find it. Whatever it was you will probably have to forego using that wood.
And don't turn hemlock folks, I've read it's dust is carcinogenic.

Last edited:

Skie_M

What were you turning that gave the allergic reaction? If you don't know turn them one by one for a short length of time with a long wait spell to find it. Whatever it was you will probably have to forego using that wood.
And don't turn hemlock folks, I've read it's dust is carcinogenic.

Well, duh ... hemlock is a known POISON! :)

Top Bottom