dual twist problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Beats me, try pulling the halves apart a little, see if it's any easier. If not partialy diassemble it and try turning the transmission by hand. Possibly inserted it too far into the blank? Just throwing out guesses...

vick

Not sure about that kit but based on other kits with dual twists.

Take skyes advice take of the top and turn tranny by hand. If it has problems I would say you have a transmission problem.
If it turns easily, on the top portion make sure that there is no glue in the tube or the end of the tube did not develop a burr from pen milling down to far. A round file or if you find a drill bit the right size should work. Glue or a burr could be compressing the trasmission and causing the problem. Warning do not take to much off the tube of you will not get enought friction to work the tranny.

Skye

Also, if it's a closed end, make sure it's not bottoming out on the closed end. Just another guess...

its_virgil

The problem is (1) glue is inside the upper barrel and the ID is restricted and binding on the twist mechanism or (2) when parting off the wood for the CB the tube has collapsed a little and is binding or (3) when the CB was pressed on the tube collapsed a little and is binding on the mechanism. These double twist americanas and euros are very sensitive to the three things I just mentioned. NOTE: Before the two halves are pressed together and before the finial is installed, be sure the transmission will slide COMPLETELY through the upper pen half. It must slide through freely and completely...no restrictions. If not, use something to clean out the glue or use a drill bit or punch or something to expand the tube a little so the transmission will pass through easily. The transmission not operated by friction but by being engaged into the stinger on the end of the finial. Another problem area is the top of the bottom blank could be just a little large and is binding where it slips into the CB. If you inspect your pen with these 4 things in mind, I bet you find the problem...I'll bet the problem is with the upper tube and it clearance around the transmission.
Good luck and Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by bwebb
<br />I finally got my dual twist round top pen together, now the twist mechanism is extremely hard to twist in either direction. What did I do wrong?

PatLawson

Originally posted by bwebb
<br />I finally got my dual twist round top pen together, now the twist mechanism is extremely hard to twist in either direction.

This is a very common problem with this style of pen!
There is VERY LITTLE space between the brass tube and the twist mechanism in the upper barrel, and when you part off the wood for the tenon and/or when you press on the centerband, the brass tube can be slightly compressed and then the twist mechanism will be very hard to turn or will not turn at all because it is binding on the brass tube.

Before assembling these pens, you need to drop the twist mechanism through the top barrel to see if it will drop all the way through. If it doesn't, you need to use a drill (wrong end), or a punch the right size and push it through the brass tube to open it up again. I can't remember the exact size of drill needed to fit an 8mm tube, it might be an "F", but not sure about that. After opening up the brass tube again, make sure the twist mechanism will drop through the barrel. Then assemble pen.

Since you've already assembled the pen, you can disassemble it by putting a rod through the centerband and tapping the top/finial assembly out of the pen, then push the drill bit or punch down through the top to open up the brass tube and then press the finial assembly back in. Now it should open and close very easily.

As I said, this is a VERY common problem with these pens, and you need to remember to test the twist mechanism in the brass tube every time before you assemble them.

Hope this helps.
Pat L.

PatLawson

Ooops! Didn't see Don's message before I posted mine.

So.....what Don said. Plus don't worry about disassembling it the way I mentioned, (I've done it many times - it's the punishment for not remembering to check the brass tube before assembling...),
Good luck on your fix!

Pat L.

Paul in OKC

(3) when the CB was pressed on the tube collapsed a little and is binding on the mechanism. These double twist americanas and euros are very sensitive to the three things I just mentioned. NOTE: Before the two halves are pressed together and before the finial is installed, be sure the transmission will slide COMPLETELY through the upper pen half. It must slide through freely and completely...no restrictions. If not, use something to clean out the glue or use a drill bit or punch or something to expand the tube a little so the transmission will pass through easily.

This is the main problem I have with the flat top DT's. When I press the center band on some, it seems to close up the tube. I do what is suggested here. I slide the upper barrel over the transmission before pressing in the little brass piece on top. I use a little scraper or round file to carefully clean out/open up the tube when needed.

its_virgil

I had this same problem when I first started turning pens and was so frustrated and guess who came to my rescue? Thanks Pat! It was Pat, so my solution was actually Pat's solution...This problem/question come up often...
Do a good turn daily!

Originally posted by PatLawson
<br />Ooops! Didn't see Don's message before I posted mine.

So.....what Don said. Plus don't worry about disassembling it the way I mentioned, (I've done it many times - it's the punishment for not remembering to check the brass tube before assembling...),
Good luck on your fix!

Pat L.

PatLawson

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I had this same problem when I first started turning pens and was so frustrated and guess who came to my rescue? Thanks Pat! It was Pat, so my solution was actually Pat's solution...

Gosh Don that was EONS ago! Lol. Before there was an IAP, before there was a Penmakers' Guild, and before there was an Arizona Silhouette!!!! (My gawd, how did we ever survive???) Remember, you and I were turning pens on a treddle lathe? [:D]

Seriously, it's nice to know that you benefited in some way from something I said back then, I know that I have benefited tremendously from your help over the years!

Pat L.

Rudy Vey

A common problem with double twist pens, either Flattop and Euro style. What Don and others said covers pretty much the problem. It is my experience that glue residue is the culprit at about 2/3 of the time, the other 1/3 would be a tightend tube from the centerband (often this is not square due to a not square blank and the centerband is slightly tilted and partially compresses the brass tube). My tip is to use a "L" drill bit in a Jacobs chuck and make sure that fit easily through the barrel AFTER the centerband is pressed on!! If this goes through a little hard or not at all, the bit eventually will open up the tube enough with some reaming action, twisting and pulling/pushing the bit - therefore it is good to hold the bit with the chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom