Dryrotting O-Rings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

webmonk

I've noticed that almost all of the pen kits that I've turned that have had the rubber O-rings at each end (Capri is an example) are showing signs of cracking, dryrotting o-rings. What gives? Is the rubber that comes with these kits just really low quality or is there something in the application process that I'm missing?

Any suggestions on replacing them? I was going to go buy a variety pack of rubber o-rings and see if any of those will last longer.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Originally posted by webmonk
<br />I've noticed that almost all of the pen kits that I've turned that have had the rubber O-rings at each end (Capri is an example) are showing signs of cracking, dryrotting o-rings.

Are you by any chance storing the kits near an electric motor that runs often and/or under load? Ozone given off by an electric motor will quickly ruin rubber - either o-ring s or bandsaw tires [:I].

Penmonkey

Originally posted by hilltopper46
<br />
Originally posted by webmonk
<br />I've noticed that almost all of the pen kits that I've turned that have had the rubber O-rings at each end (Capri is an example) are showing signs of cracking, dryrotting o-rings.

Are you by any chance storing the kits near an electric motor that runs often and/or under load? Ozone given off by an electric motor will quickly ruin rubber - either o-ring s or bandsaw tires [:I].

Yikes![:0]

webmonk

Hmm... Nope, these were stored in various locations ranging from in the shop to in storage to on display for sale. I'd say that's a fairly good sample to call them shoddy o-rings, but that's useful info to know about the ozone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom