drying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Over the weekend I found an old bradford pear tree that had been cut down about 5 years ago to make room for a barn and shop. It has some spalt in it so I brought a few chunks home and cut them into pen blanks. It still has some moisture in it but I'm not sure how long I should let it dry. Can someone please help me?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've not tried the boiling method, but I do microwave woods pretty regularly... my microwave is an old one I found at the local Habitat for Humanity store for $20... it's a big one from Montgomery Wards.... I generally use the defrost cycle so it doesn't get so hot... I'll run blanks for about 3 minutes, let them cool for 30-45 minutes and then repeat... it can take half a day to dry smaller pieces... but you can also burn the wood if it's soft... BTDT... it does stink when you do that.

I do more bowls and pepper mills now than pens, so I'm more likely to be drying a bowl blank... I rough turn it, then microwave to dry it, then finish turn... seems to work for me. Pepper mills, I generally bore them to size and let them sit for a while to dry... then re-bore and turn to shape.

Wildman

I would let the blanks hang around the shop for a couple months. Where I live if a tree is on the ground for more than two years might not have any usable wood. Humidity, rot, and insects really eat wood up. Hope your experience is different.

sbwertz

If I need to "speed dry" some blanks I put them in my dehydrator for three or four days on about a 100 degree setting. I used it on some paloverde and on pistachio. Worked well for me. In the summer time here in AZ I put some in my backyard propane grill in the hot sun. With the relative humidity at around 10 percent, it worked really well, too.

zig613

Aaron...

I have tried the boiling method… it worked but the wood did generate some stink in the kitchen that hasn't appreciated by my better half.

So now to keep everyone happy, I cut the wood into blanks, place the blanks in a paper bag, weigh the bags & blanks together (record the date and weight), and place in a well ventilated area. Re-weigh the bag and blanks 2-3 weeks later. Once the bag of blanks has stopped losing weight they are dried and ready to turn. The wait time will all depend on how green the wood is and how well ventilated the storage area.

Wade

Padre

If I need to "speed dry" some blanks I put them in my dehydrator for three or four days on about a 100 degree setting. I used it on some paloverde and on pistachio. Worked well for me. In the summer time here in AZ I put some in my backyard propane grill in the hot sun. With the relative humidity at around 10 percent, it worked really well, too.
That is an excellent idea!!!

SGM Retired

I think I'm going to move to AZ, this 80-90% humidity in Alabama is killing me. No wounder when I turn a cherry tree log after it has been on the ground for 2 years it still throughs out water on me and the wall when rough turning. But the 110 degree heat is a killer too, so I'll stay where I'm at for now.
Gary

Wildman

Average Relative Humidity (percentage)
Morning (M), Afternoon (A)

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/avgrh.html

You want to pay attention to annual percentage of relative humidity because wood gains and looses moisture content based upon it. You can also see what are the best drying months for harvesting wood. Yes, applying the right finish to wood slows down moisture exchange. Just because you apply finish to wood, does not stop moisture exchange, merely slows down the process.

Just because you put wood in a kiln, does not mean wood will not regain moisture once out of the kiln. Wood is hydroscopic and will gain and lose moisture throughout its life.

DRYING WOOD: http://owic.oregonstate.edu/pubs/for55.pdf

Two terms from real estate sales sum up my outlook on drying wood. Location, location, location definitely a factor based upon relative humidity. The other is who care less wins, while that applies more to sales it also applies to drying wood. Keep it simple, you can have both success and failures with any method you use.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not in a hurry to dry the wood so I'll probably let it air dry for a few months. I'm interested in the microwave and boiling methods too so I'll probably give them a try.

Thanks again

ctubbs

I have one of the small table top charcoal grills. I have placed a 100 watt bulb in the bottom under the rack. I place the blanks on the rack spaced about 1/2 blank apart. If needed more layers can be placed atop the bottom layer until the grill is full. I weigh sample blanks as they are loaded and pencil their weight on each. I adjust the temp by the opening of the vent on top. When the sample blanks stop loosing weight for a day, they are dry. Usually under a week. YMMV a lot depending.
Charles

Top Bottom