Drying Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

Is a Moisture meter the only way to tell when blanks are dry? Is so what % is good for turning and where can I get econemical(Cheap)one. I have blanks drying and don't know when i can turn them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

No, Greg, you can weigh them on a weekly basis and record the weights. When the weight stabilizes, it should be dry enough. I do this with my bowl blanks all the time.

Dario

What Billy said.

You can also use the "feel" test. Put the wood against your face...if it feels cold, then it is still wet [;)]

For pen blanks, (when in doubt) ...AFTER drilling, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and stand it w/ the hole on a non-porous material (plate, glass, formica table top, etc.) after a few seconds check where it is on. If there is accumulated moisture then it is still wet. Repeat until no more moisture shows. You may have to re-drill after before gluing the tube.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Stick them in a micro wave at 1/2 power in a plastic bag for about 45 secs..
Open the bag when cycle is done.
The amount of moisture on the inside of the bag should be minimal if they are dry.
There will always be some moisture present.
I am sure Darios method works most of the time but if they are still "wet" they may warp & redrilling may result in a hole that will be too big.

Joe Melton

I use a moisture meter I got at Harbor Freight for 19.99, and it seems to work fine. At least, it reads high for obviously wet wood and low for obviously dry wood. I've never tested it against a higher-priced one.
If you put a pen blank on top of your hot water heater, it will dry relatively quickly. My experience with this (gas water heater) is that it goes from about 14% to about 7% in less than two days, with no damage to, nor distorting of, the wood. I think 7% is about the equilibrium moisture content for this area, so that is what I would shoot for.
Some people say if you hold a pen blank to your cheek, and it seems cool, then it is too wet. I tend to agree with that.
Joe

jrc

Drill the blank and let it set for a week and if the tube goes in easy it is dry if not let it dry longer. That is what I have done for the last 4 years and it has worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom