drying pen blanks???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

hey folks, wasn't sure where to post this but i'll give this a try.

i just had a request from a friend that wants me to make a pen from a tree that is on his parents property, i don't know how long the tree has been down but i know he is just in the process of cutting it up so there will be moisture in it.

question: what is the best way to go about drying it. i will get it down to pen blank size+ before drying it, i've heard some micro wave, some toaster oven. i'm thinking even a week or so in the sun. its oak, if that matters.

thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Put the blank in a container of denatured alchohol and let it soak for 2-3 days making sure it stays submerged by weighting it down. Remove and wrap in newpaper and weigh every day. You should be able to use the blank in a week I think.

Akula

do not cut to size, the blanks will shrink

I have done the microwave when someone needed a pen quick. I set it to defrost and nuke them. Do not leave the blanks (fire is possible). Weigh them after each round. Wipe out any moisture from the inside of the MW. Let them rest and adjust to the environment. If possible I like to put them inside a bag with shavings for a couple days.

When you try and rush things, your rolling the dice.

paintspill

i know to cut them over size but as for the rest i think i'm gonna have to see what my time schedule is going to be like. i think i'm risking things by trying to force dry it. however, it sounds like i'm gonna have lots to play with so it might be a good time to experiment.

sumterdad

All of these methods will work. I also recommend a moisture detector that will tell you how much moisture you started with and you can determine how much moisture you lose after each cooking session

Wildman

If the tree has been on the ground and not end sealed for a period of time MC may well be below 30%. Would cut blanks either ¾" or 1" square by 6 inches, and let air dry for couple of months. If getting crud on bandsaw blade from wet wood or wood feels wet, end seal blanks with wax or favorite commercial end sealer. I do not alway end seal logs already end sealed and now cutting into pen or turning blanks. In your situation would end seal.

You can always play with microwave, boiling or DNA too.

low_48

Oak doesn't narrow it down too much. There are over 400 species of oak. If it is of the white oak family, it will be tougher to dry than of the red oaks. How quickly do they need the pen? I cut my rough outs at 1" square by 6" long. If it's burl, slightly larger. I let them sit around and air dry for a couple weeks. Then I stack them in the attic and this time of year they should be ready in about a month. Maybe 6 weeks for white oak. A toaster oven will explode oak almost instantly.

clapiana

i agree a moisture meter is a good idea to confirm the blank is dry. they are small money on amazon what you don't want is to think it is turn it and then find out a week later it wasn't

Top Bottom