Drying green wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shadetree_1

Hi folks,

I have come to you (all of you) because you are the experts !! ( at least you all know a h**l of alot more than I do about wood!!

What is the best and quickest way to dry green wood ? I cut a big green Gamble Oak burl when I was up north in July and do not want to wait 5 years before I can use it, I sealed the cut with latex paint for lack of Anchorseal, but I want to make pen blanks out of it and simply do not know enough about getting it dry as quick as I can with the least loss of wood.

Someone said soak it in denatured alcohol ??

Thanks

Joe:confused:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

Joe...

My method may not be the quickest but it works for me. I cut the burl into blanks and place them in a paper bag on a wire self with good circulation in my basement. Weigh the bag of blanks, re-weigh the bag of blanks every couple of weeks, when they stop losing weight they are ready to turn. The time required depends on how green the burl is.

I have also used the "cooking" process (i.e., boil the blanks in water, then use the paper bag drying routine). This method is suppose to speed up the drying process and minimize checking on the ends of the blanks. There use to be a article in the library discussing this method.

Wade

robutacion

Hi folks,

I have come to you (all of you) because you are the experts !! ( at least you all know a h**l of alot more than I do about wood!!

What is the best and quickest way to dry green wood ? I cut a big green Gamble Oak burl when I was up north in July and do not want to wait 5 years before I can use it, I sealed the cut with latex paint for lack of Anchorseal, but I want to make pen blanks out of it and simply do not know enough about getting it dry as quick as I can with the least loss of wood.

Someone said soak it in denatured alcohol ??

Thanks

Joe:confused:

Hi Joe, welcome to my world...!:eek::)

The boiling system is excellent but not ideal for burls, particularly for those with internal stress cracks or just natural cell separation, as many burls have, the boiling will "blow" or at least increase significantly the cracks as the water temp (90°) will force the burled wood apart (this is my experience...!).

Your best bet and safer way to dry the burl as fast as possible by natural air dry to start with, would be for you the slice that burl into sightly oversize pen blanks. I know that you cut you blanks a little thinner than mine but, I cut mine green at 22+mm square x 135mm long for final size of about 21mm x 130mm.

I recommend those 5mm extra in length as, some woods/burls tend to shrink considerably more in the length than in the width.
After you have them cut, stack them up in cross layers and with a gad in between each blank (normally 5 on the bottom and then 4 on each layer) building up what I call a "drying tower" , not going over 2' in height (stability while unstrapped) then using either some packing blue plastic webbing/strap, wire or anything else you may have that is capable to be strapped tight, in one or 2 straps on each side (pic attached).

You can also build these "racked" piles on a shelve or place where they are not going to be knocked over, something that did happen to me a lot initially, reason why I prefer to strap these bundles as it makes extremely easy to handle them and store, either upright (preferentially) or on their side if necessary...!

You will find that, with the temps you have in your neck of the woods, the banks will be workable to dry, between 6 and 9 months.

You can accelerate this by racking, (same as the drying towers but only about 5 layers/roes of blanks, depending on the microwave size) the blanks in the microwave (plate) and perform the microwaving drying steps (I will explain in more detail if necessary but there is already plenty of info in here about this...!).

While this will allow you to have blanks for sale the same day or on the day after you have sliced the green burl, there is a considerable cost in the electricity used and plenty of you time to "nurse" those blanks in this drying process, plus the fact that, the oversize cut blanks will require some trimming, some will curve/bow from a little to too much and these will need some work done or if too much, to be put a side for straightening up with water, at a later time...!

NOTE: Do never put your drying towers in the sun, with the intent to get them to dry faster. They will but, you may endup with little or no blanks to sell, afterwards...!:eek::mad:

Unless you have the money to invest in a small wood drying kiln (about 12G's), air drying is the only viable option. As much as I understand the frustration of having to wait for the wood to dry, or at least to a workable stage, I keep cutting nearly every day wood that I know, it will be at least 1 year or more before I can even consider in letting people know that is for sale. I have Olive wood slabs and other woods that were slabbed 4 years ago and still not right for what I need them for...!:mad:

The pen blanks world have open a big door for me, in more than one way but, the one I most appreciate is that fact that, pen blanks being so small in size, they dry a lot faster, I mean a lot faster, than any of the square or round blanks that I normally cut for wood-turning...!:smile-big:

Let me know if you need any further assistance...!

Good luck.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC07095_(1).JPG
    PIC07095_(1).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 235
  • PIC08431_(1).JPG
    PIC08431_(1).JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 172

shadetree_1

I knew I would get an earfull if I asked the right people and I think I have (both the earfull and asked the right people) I'm thinking I'll visit Goodwill and try to pick up a cheap low powered microwave to put in my garage (I don;t dare use the one in the house-remember I have been married 35 years to a fiesty little REDHEAD, I wish to keep breathing) and walking and talking so needless to say, it's a garage microwave!

Thanks Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe and Linda

robutacion

I knew I would get an earfull if I asked the right people and I think I have (both the earfull and asked the right people) I'm thinking I'll visit Goodwill and try to pick up a cheap low powered microwave to put in my garage (I don;t dare use the one in the house-remember I have been married 35 years to a fiesty little REDHEAD, I wish to keep breathing) and walking and talking so needless to say, it's a garage microwave!

Thanks Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe and Linda

Smart move, Joe...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

sbwertz

I use a dehydrator for fast drying. I seal the ends before putting them in the dehydrator and use a low temp. Takes about 4 days for freshly cut wood. Cut them oversize because they will shrink and twist when fast drying.

arkie

You can also accelerate drying by using vacuum, though I have no personal experience. It may be worth playing with if you already have the equipment, as for casting or stabilizing.

Top Bottom