drying blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

after cutting a log into pen sized blanks, how long have you all needed to let them dry before turning (in general, i'm sure it varies based on climate, etc.) ?

or should i cut it into larger blanks to allow for warping and then down to pen blank size once dry?

low_48

I cut mine 1" square by 6" long. Almost never fail to get a blank from that. I always cut them to this size. Cutting big chunks will slow the drying a LOT! It also invites more checking and stress in the block. I'm hauling green wood up into the attic at a pretty good pace right now. A couple of weeks up there and it's time to turn. Don't take crotch wood or burl up in the attic right away. It'll really crack fast if the drying is too quick. Let that stacked in the shop for a couple of weeks with lots of air moving around it before going to the attic kiln. If it's in the way, put it in a paper bag and then put it in the attic. Oh yeah, here's my tip for taking it to the attic. I basically make a large "envelope" (24" square) of chicken wire. I stack the blanks inside the envelope so they are only 1 blank thick. I have to weave some wire through the envelope so it will not fall open and all the blanks fall into a ball in the bottom. I then hang this off a screw in the rafters. My toughest part to all this? Avoiding the stares and dirty looks from my wife. She is either thinking, "How much wood can a 55 year old guy really think he needs?", or, "What the hell am I going to do with wood in the attic when that SOB dies?"[;)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by low_48
<br />I cut mine 1" square by 6" long. Almost never fail to get a blank from that. I always cut them to this size. Cutting big chunks will slow the drying a LOT! It also invites more checking and stress in the block. I'm hauling green wood up into the attic at a pretty good pace right now. A couple of weeks up there and it's time to turn. Don't take crotch wood or burl up in the attic right away. It'll really crack fast if the drying is too quick. Let that stacked in the shop for a couple of weeks with lots of air moving around it before going to the attic kiln. If it's in the way, put it in a paper bag and then put it in the attic. Oh yeah, here's my tip for taking it to the attic. I basically make a large "envelope" (24" square) of chicken wire. I stack the blanks inside the envelope so they are only 1 blank thick. I have to weave some wire through the envelope so it will not fall open and all the blanks fall into a ball in the bottom. I then hang this off a screw in the rafters. My toughest part to all this? Avoiding the stares and dirty looks from my wife. She is either thinking, "How much wood can a 55 year old guy really think he needs?", or, "What the hell am I going to do with wood in the attic when that SOB dies?"[;)]

Don't worry, Gary, any number of us will be more than happy to help her with that little problem. Heck, I wouldn't even charge her for the work!!!! [}:)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom