Drying blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

badwin

I Know this has been asked before, but how long on average does it take to air dry green blanks that were cut to 3/4 X 5. I cut some caragana in the fall, wax sealed the ends but don't know how long it takes to dry. P.S I live in the prairies in Canada where the air is dry all year around.
Thanks for any help
Brian

wade

Use Denatured Alcohol. Give them a bath in it for a few hours, take them out, then stick them in a paper bag on a shelf for about a week. When the week is up, start turning. I double-check mine with a moisture tester that I got off ebay, but you could also weigh them every day till they stop loosing weight. Then you would know they are dry. I dry out rough-turned bowls this way and have very little warpage and very seldom do I ever have any cracking.

Wade in MN

vick

The general rule is 1 year per inch of thickness. So for a 3/4 blank that would be 9 months. Your climate does matter I live in Arizona which as also very dry and I would guess a 3/4 blank would be dry in 6 months or less, but I do not have a moisture meter I am judging by the working properies of the wood.

Rifleman1776

My rule of thumb is whatever works for a particular type of wood. Want to use sooner? Zap in microwave. I'll do about 20 at a time, stacked on a paper plate in a manner that allows for air circulation. Give one minute zaps with about 30 seconds in between. Do whatever seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom