Drlling a Jr series pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Got a question for you guys. I've been turning pens for about 8 months and feel like my pens are pretty good. The biggest pen I've turned so far is a cigar. Today I attempted to get a few JR Gents ready to turn. The lower barrel drilled fine. The upper barrel blew out on me twice as I was exiting the bottom of the blank. My question is should I predrill a smaller hole first or should I just make the blank longer and not drill all the way through, then cut it to length. The only problem I have with alternative two is I'm messing around making closed end pens and the blanks aren't long enough to do this. Sorry so long, just aggrevated I smoked 2 nice acrylic blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rfturner

You can do this a few ways, First drill slower with less pressure behind it.
1. make the blank a little longer so if a blow out does occur it should not be on the usable blank portion.

2. if you place a block under the blank it can help against blowout, the drill bit continues drilling instead of forcefully breaking though the other side.

If you want to make a close ended pen mark your drill bit with tape, or set the stop to the desired depth, this can keep the blank from being drilled all the way through.

Lenny

Ernie are you drilling on the lathe or DP? I think your on the right track with your thinking. If you can drill part way and stop then trim the blank back to the hole, that will work well for you IMO. If using the drill press use a scrap piece (a new scrap piece for each hole) to back up the bit as it comes through. I think many use the smaller drill to drill each blank and then enlarge the upper blank with the bigger drill.

a minute late again =0)

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I appreciate the help. I'm drilling on my drill press. I hadn't thought about a piece of scrap under it. Will try that tomorrow. I actually ended up putting tape on the drill bit and didn't drill all the way through. Then I cut it on the bandsaw. That worked well was just looking for some different ways.

Hopefully I'll have a pic by Saturday of my first closend end pen. Got the blanks drilled and painted earlier today. Will epoxy the tubes in tomorrow and hopefully turn before Saturday night.

Whaler

I double drill, the first hole is about 1/2 of the final. I also never drill all the way through. Even doing closed end pens I have never found a blank to short to follow this procedure.

dow

I drill on the lathe. I found that my holes fit the tubes better (no runout like on my drill press), and I haven't had but one blowout since I started doing it. Lately, I've been using my drill press as a pen press. It seems to work better for that than it ever did for drilling blanks. :biggrin:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I typically cut my blanks about 1/8" - 3/16" longer than the tube, and drill all the way through.

Last edited:
Top Bottom