Driving to Berea...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

Hmm... favorite Berea kits...

I love Baron and Sedona for their flexibility - you can change up the look by going closed end, or omitting the trim rings on the cap (or subbing in your own). On the Baron you can pop out the black insert at the tip of the cap and do your own thing there as well. And since they share the same tubes... you don't have to decide if you're going to to Baron or Sedona until you get the blank turned.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time looking at kit parts and seeing a pen. Hope they have some finished examples for you to look at.

Happy hunting...

magpens

Wish I could go along for the ride ! . I'm sure we'd find something to talk about.

MTViper

I wish I could go with you too. Baron & Sedona are tough to beat. I also like their Churchill. You can't go to Berea without looking at the Lever Action and Tetra, too. I turned 5 deer antler blanks and put them on Brass Lever Action kits for a guy's groomsmen gifts for his impending wedding today. I keep them in stock.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time looking at kit parts and seeing a pen. Hope they have some finished examples for you to look at.

Happy hunting...

Yes, they have a nice display case (open) where you can see the finished kits. Probably 100-200 examples.

Keep in mind, this is not a retail store like a Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. No real display cases - this is essentially a distribution location for orders. It would be helpful if you knew which kits you want. Then they will get them from boxes that have - maybe several hundred kits in them. The area where the blanks are stored is a lot of fun to walk through! Literally hundreds of boxes with hundreds of blanks in each.

They prefer walk-ins on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays; but I have gone there on off days and never been turned away (they just may be busy).

Have fun - Great people.

mikeschn

We had fun at Berea Hardwoods this morning, bought some pen kits, and learned some stuff. Even got one of their new catalogs... Highly recommended!!! :good:

Here's a peek at some of the pen kits we picked up... Thanks for the suggestions...

Attachments

• IMG_9092a.JPG
    IMG_9092a.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 232

mikeschn

Woohoo, it's weekend. Time to get downstairs and make a pen...

I think I am going to start with a new series rollerball...

Then maybe a Glacia...

Finally I think I'll try a Baron in sterling silver... never did sterling silver before...

Sounds like a fun weekend...

Any one else have any Berea pens that they are going to turn this weekend? Which one?

Mike...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Actually yes! I'm looking up the bushing sizes for the "Button Click Pen - 5807-HP-1." (No help needed! I like to browse the sites :)) And just got done with 2 "Flat Top American - 416-1." I am applying Wipe-On-Polyurethane, so 1 hr between coats - enough time to turn more pens.

My non-system of keeping my bushings organized lasts about 1-2 weeks before I have a pile of misc. bushings that are "worn", "good", "no-idea"...

I am going through a lot of old kits and turning them to give away, and to use some blanks I have not used before just to play. I sent 10 last month for the Service Pens to Gary, and think I can send about 10 for the next 4-5 months with my misc kits... just need to get a nice set of TBC bushings for all my kits.

I'll post my Berea Weekend pens here on Sunday/Monday.

mikeschn

I made the New Series pen this morning...

I obviously don't have enough tools yet. I really struggled to cut the aluminite back to the brass tube (pseudo tenon) because my parting tool was too wide. I need a narrower parting tool! :confused:

Anyways, the first pic below is the pseudo tenon!

The second pic is the completed New Series pen assembled. Assembly was easy. In fact the whole pen was pretty easy! And it's pretty light too, weighing about 1 1/4oz.

Oh, for polishing the aluminite I used the first two grits of micromesh, ie. 1500 & 1800, and then switched over to Hut Ultra Gloss plastic polish. That worked out fine!!! :biggrin:

Mike...

Attachments

• IMG_9144a.JPG
    IMG_9144a.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5283a.JPG
    IMG_5283a.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 131

mikeschn

So apparently i forgot to order the 19A bushings for the Baron Rollerball. So there won't be any Barons coming off the lathe today.

I did have the bushings for the Glacia, so I made one of those...

It turned out very nice. Of course, the wife snatched that one up!!! I'll have to make another one for me... Gotta pick a color that she doesn't like! :rolleyes:

Anyways, here's the Glacia...

Mike...

Attachments

• IMG_5286a.JPG
    IMG_5286a.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 125

mikeschn

I managed to get my purple Glacia back. But I had to make her an Emerald Green Glacia first... The Emerald Green Glacia in chrome is pretty too!

Mike...

P.S. How you doing over there Mark?

Attachments

• IMG_5289a.JPG
    IMG_5289a.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mike:

Life got in the way! I only got one turned, will post when the rest are done. I need to do some work when the weather cooperates, and play when I have the opportunity (wet outside).

But... the bad news is that an order from Exotic Blanks came in 2 days earlier than I anticipated. Since Ed and Dawn are vampires and don't sleep at night, now I have more projects to do... It really s..ks when vendors are prompt :tongue::tongue::tongue:!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well, better late than never!

Flat Top American (with the cut tenon), and Button Clicks. These kits I have had for 2+ years. I swapped out all refills for better ones, but they are good to go:

Mahogany; Honey Locust; two alumilite blanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Marmotjr

Sorry to bump a semi dead thread, but....

Holy patooly! There's a pen supplier near me?? I'm already appreciating (While my girl regrets) me joining IAP! Thanks guys!

mikeschn

Lol

A thread isn't dead until it's locked or deleted!!!

Glad we could help you find a pen source! Tell em we said hi!

MikeNChell from Michigan

Sorry to bump a semi dead thread, but....

Holy patooly! There's a pen supplier near me?? I'm already appreciating (While my girl regrets) me joining IAP! Thanks guys!

Magicbob

Berea is a great resource here in NEO, when you stop in Joe is very knowledgable and willing to help any one who is getting started

Top Bottom