Drilling vise question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcrafty

I have a drilling vise that I bought from Woodcraft to improve the accuracy of my drilling. The holes were slightly angled due to my homemade holding fixture not be as secure as I needed which justified my purchase of a metal one. My question is on some of the blanks especially the slimline models the drill bit seems to flex/wander slightly leaving an oversized hole at the entrance. I though that the bit was the problem but noticed that maybe the vise base plate is flexing or not anchored firmly enough (tough to get more than one clamp to hold it to the drill press table.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this and if so how did you solve it.

Any help is greatly appreciated....

BB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudwrkr

I have one of these vises and I experienced the same "flexing". I inserted a thin piece of sheetmetal between the base and the clamp fixture and that took out most of the flex. This does not mean that the bit won't wander. I still get the occasional crooked hole, but it is much better now. [:D]

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by jbcrafty
<br />I have a drilling vise that I bought from Woodcraft to improve the accuracy of my drilling. The holes were slightly angled due to my homemade holding fixture not be as secure as I needed which justified my purchase of a metal one. My question is on some of the blanks especially the slimline models the drill bit seems to flex/wander slightly leaving an oversized hole at the entrance. I though that the bit was the problem but noticed that maybe the vise base plate is flexing or not anchored firmly enough (tough to get more than one clamp to hold it to the drill press table.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this and if so how did you solve it.

Any help is greatly appreciated....

BB
Other things that could cause this is if the top of the blank is a little 'skewed', not flat in relation to the bit. This can cause a little wondering when the bit first enters the wood. Also make sure that your drill press table is perpendicular to the bit as well. A solid base under the vise is also helpful. Just some thoughts. HTH

Dario

make sure the table is perfectly perpendicular to the drill. Use the bent wire method to test.

Get a wire a bit longer than the distance between the chuck and the table, give it a slight bend approximately 30 degrees (varies depending on how low the table is).
Mount the to the drill chuck.
Adjust the wire so it is almost but not touching the table.
Rotate the chuck manually and observe the tip of the wire if the distance between it and the table varies.
Adjust the table until you get even space all around between the wire and the table.

Hope this helps.

Also make sure that you enter the wood slowly at first. Establish a starting point first because that is when most drift starts.

JimQ

I had to return one of those to WoodCraft because the clamping faces were moving. The base was fine, but the mechanical assembly wiggled. I checked another in the store, and it was the same.

I got one of BB's on the AS site.

JimQ

OKLAHOMAN

All the above plus the woodcraft vise is a piece of junk, Just yesterday I drilled maybe my 10th blank on one and the drive gear released from the shaft and I almost could not get the blank out of the jaws.I drove the 40 miles to Woodcraft to get it replaced and all of the ones they had the assembly either was loose or binding. The good thing was that they had 30% off of all pen kits so I traded for some TI kits.Guess I'll use my $5.00 drill vise untill Paul sends me the one I have on order last time I checked I was #60 on the list .(SO PAUL MAYBE BY CHRISTMAS???)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Do what Roy is doing. Get on Paul's list for a vise and make do until it comes. Put it this way, if my shop, God forbid, ever catches fire, my vise is the first item I will save!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom