Drilling & Tubing Tru-stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I am about to make my first Tru-stone pen and was wondering if I have to use the brass tube to make the pen. I have the proper size bits for a tubeless pen, but am not sure how it would effect the blanks integrety. Any info on this would help. Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Neil,

Not all tru-stone is the same. I would suggest you mention which pattern and follow the advice of R and B - he knows his stuff!!!

MobilMan

Ed, I misplaced my thinkin cap. Who's R and B. Just ordered 2 Truestone blanks today myself, plus $460.00 worth of stuff from CSUSA.

Neil, is that drill size for Slimline type 6 or 6.3mm?

randbcrafts

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ed!

I've have yet to go to the kitless pens like Butch (LDB2000), George (Texatdurango), or others with the Tru-Stone, but I think it really depends on what kind of pen you are planning on making, and as Ed said, which color you are using, since each is unique. The above members have made some great looking pens from tru-stone that appear to not have tubes.

Richard, Ed was referring to me. I have a couple :wink: colors of the tru-stone blanks listed in the business classified section.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
The blank that I have is 5.5"x 1.25"diameter green(possibly banded malachite). The drill bit are (forgot size) that I have been using with aluminum and have had good results so far, this is to make a Jr. Gent II pen.
Rich, as far as the bit for a slimline...I don't know right now but I can have the size for you tomorrow if you want.
If you can suggest some good blanks for me to start with, I would be happy to purchase a couple to try. Thanks for any help.

mrcook4570

This is just me, but I would not use a 1.25" diameter blank for a Jr Gent II. That would create a lot of waste. That blank would be better suited for one of the full size pens. Another option would be resawing. With careful resawing and careful drilling, you can turn that one blank into 4 medium size pens.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Whichever ones you try, I would take the offcut first .. drill it out and
turn it down.. then try press fitting a part into it and see if there's any
damage to the blank.

The blank can turn color when stressed. (think of bending a piece of plastic
and you can watch it turn white where it bends)

You might think of gluing the parts in place rather than press fitting them.
You'd still want to drill close, of course .. but it might not hurt to try it on the
piece of scrap left over after cutting the blank to size.

Rudy Vey

Made a number of pens with the Tru-stone. I always used the brass tubes. Drilling can be a bit challenging, so go careful and don't try get through fast - I had several blanks crumble at the lower end when the drill bit exited. I always use a piece of wood under my blanks for drilling. The worst was a one of the light blue colored ones, don't re-call the name. My favourite is the blue lapis with the gold veining. But all I used are pretty tough to turn, I use a roughing gouge - very scary sharp - to round them over and then finish turn with a normal spindle gouge and skew. I found that I have to sharpen my tools after I turned one pen with two barrels.

PenWorks

I am about to make my first Tru-stone pen and was wondering if I have to use the brass tube to make the pen.

If you are making a Jr Gent as you say and not going to do any mods to the pen. I would definately use the tubes. This will add structual strength to the pen. If you dropped a tru stone pen with no tube, I would say the chances are 95% greater it would break without tubes. JMO

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
USUALLY, if a pen is made without tubes, the purpose is to reduce the weight.

With Tru-Stone, I don't THINK you will EVER get a light pen that is also durable!!

JMO

randbcrafts

Neil, You mentioned you were looking for some good ones to start with. In my opinion, good colors for a beginner would include any of the following:

Arizona Turquoise
White Turquoise
Persian Turquoise
Leopard Skin Jasper
Azurite/Malachite Natural
#40 Web (Turquoise)
Conch Shell
Varasite Web
Larimar
Banded Ivory
Malachite Banded
Asian Pink Coral
Blue River Agate
White Web
Bloody Basin Red Jasper
Black and White Banded

randyrls

Made a number of pens with the Tru-stone. I always used the brass tubes. Drilling can be a bit challenging, so go careful and don't try get through fast - I had several blanks crumble at the lower end when the drill bit exited.

Rudy; On all acrylics including Tru-stone, I cut the blank roughly in half, drill the hole from the center outward to the length of the tube and then cut off the extra length. The drill bit never breaks through the end of the blank, so no danger of breaking the end of the blank.

Rudy Vey

Rudy; On all acrylics including Tru-stone, I cut the blank roughly in half, drill the hole from the center outward to the length of the tube and then cut off the extra length. The drill bit never breaks through the end of the blank, so no danger of breaking the end of the blank.
I always cut them a bit longer, so I can use them even when there is some break-out - had only one that were not usable.

I cut the blank roughly in half, drill the hole from the center outward to the length of the tube and then cut off the extra length. The drill bit never breaks through the end of the blank, so no danger of breaking the end of the blank.

That is the BEST way to go no matter what the material!!:cool:

Top Bottom