Drilling rifle brass to make a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firebucket53

I have had trouble when drilling rifle brass to insert the tube. The trouble I have is it spins just before I finish getting through the brass. Any suggestions on how to hold it so that it will not spin when Drilling?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrashmanS

Er32 collet chuck. Works like a champ. I got mine from psi but there are others. I grips completely around without leaving marks. Don't get the one from woodcraft. It uses an odd collet design and you won't be able to get other sizes. You will need to get the collet size for the brass you are drilling.
ba9c80758904719d6c7cae49655a30ab.png

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

socdad

ER32 Collet ... I picked up the basic set from PSI
(It appears great minds think alike)

Last edited:

Charlie_W

If you pick up a metric set of er32 collets to go with your collet chuck, you will have more sizes which are more likely to fit things we need to grip. I found a set online several years ago that ranged from 2mm-20mm by mm.
I have a Beall collet chuck and am very pleased with it.

keithlong

I use a 1/2 inch drill chuck, wrap your brass with masking tape and don't over tighter the chuck, also make sure that you go slow and use a sharp bit.

KBs Pensnmore

What sort of drill bit are you using??? Bits for brass, whether drill bits or turning bits for the lathe are supposed to have a zero rake cutting edge.
That way, they will not grab, and, it's simply the proper tool bit geometry for brass.
I think you'll find that this is half, if not all the problem.
zero edge.png
Hope this helps
Kryn

Last edited:

KenV

Bill,

What happens is the conventional bits tend to self feed as they come through, and if the operator on the fees does not slow/stop the feed, the remainfer of the brass has to be torn off by the sides of the flute. Same effect drilling through plastic blanks resulting in chip outs and worse.

It takes a lot of torque to shear/tear off the brass. That extra torque can cause some distortion and leave shards of metal at the edge.

Better grips help hold against the torque. Better technique or use of less aggressive bits reduces the torque pulse.

A combination is the best of all worlds.

PenPal

Centre drills work wonders mind you I simply use DeWalt Extreme 2 with outstanding success for blanks and cartridges.

I am about to give these brasses a workout. From bigns to whoppers.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF8447.JPG
    DSCF8447.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF8456-001.JPG
    DSCF8456-001.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF8453.JPG
    DSCF8453.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 130
Top Bottom